Day 3: Pleasant Ride - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

February 20, 2018

Day 3: Pleasant Ride

Jacuma to Calexico

Birthday boy George
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
dressed for the cold
Heart 0 Comment 0
leaving Jacumba
Heart 2 Comment 1
Martha ColeDid you get a chance to soak in the hot springs? Very cool thing to do while it is snowing. If you get a chance, bring flip flops as is traditional to run barefoot in snow/slush to the next hot spring.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
how spoiled are we? lunch break
Heart 4 Comment 1
Martha ColeTHIS I would really enjoy. So enjoy!
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
you want us to ride where?!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0

When I woke at 6:30AM it was a chilly 29 degree F. The five of us met up for breakfast at the 7 o'clock . Today is our support driver George's birthday . We had decided on an eight o'clock start and it had warmed up to 35 by then.  Everyone had on 4 or 5 layers of clothing to deal with the cold. I dragged out my winter gloves and headband as well as the layering of shirts and pants.  Sun was out and wind was calm for the morning portion of the ride. By noon we were able to strip off a layer or two . Rode on beautiful Highway #98 for most of the journey. We did have 10mile stretch on freeway #8 as no other highways were available to us. We all agreed that riding downhill on the freeway was a fun, easy ride. We did have to be careful not to generate too much speed going down hill. Scenery was beautiful along the way. Love the desert, unfortunately it is to early for cactus flowers but the vast miles of open desert are great. We rode parallel to the border way at many different paces.  ithe route. 

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 104 miles (167 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0