Day 34 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

March 25, 2018

Day 34

Smithville Tx to Brenham Tx.

Miles 62.6          Elevation  2000ft               Flats: 0

We left Smithfield this morning in a "Seattle rain" with hope that it would end in the forecasted hour, unfortunately  it stayed with us for the next 3 hours, fortunately too is that it was warm out.  Good shoulders on highway 71 & 159 made our first 20 miles an easy ride. We turned onto highway 237 and boy did things change. Not only did we not have wide shoulders we ran smack dab into the biggest antiques show I've ever seen. Seems  The Texas Independence Trail( which we were riding)  plays a prominent  presence in the areas 50 year history of hosting this antique show which sprawls over 20 miles from town to town , March 23 - April 7 with hundreds of dealers. Needless to say our main focus now became riding without getting hit by a car or running off into a ditch although I would have gladly stopped and done some 'window-shopping' . Saw some great selections of cowhide rugs which would look great in Ogdensburg.  Pedestrians  were pretty good  at watching as they crossed the highways. Most drivers were polite but a few were rude and very inconsiderate of us bikers. Perhaps they were having a bad day  or were being dragged there against their will but hey drivers, share the road and give us at least the 3 feet of clearance required by law.  We safely got to state road 290 with its wide shoulders, and felt some relief. Maggie made a good point when she said " I didn't even notice the hills, I was so terrified of being run off the road or hit" . Thats saying something with all the elevation we covered. 

http://WWW.roundtoptexasantiqu...

We did experience the fun of seeing couples and families stopped along the roadways going into the fields of  Blue Bonnets to take photos, a popular activity. 

 Missed our turn at Brenham but with the help of google maps we were able to reach our hotel safely without adding on to many miles.  A few photos but mostly we rode in survival mode. 

Warrenton, Tx.
Heart 0 Comment 0
more antiques shops and tents, check out the steer skulls
Heart 0 Comment 0
and more
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cowboy Corner offered up free Jackalope Rides
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cowboy corner, Jackalope on left of photo
Heart 0 Comment 0
hey, he's a cowboy
Heart 0 Comment 0
at last a road without dealers!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 1,498 miles (2,411 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0