Day 26 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

March 17, 2018

Day 26

Del Rio, Tx to Brackettville, Tx

Abby joined us at the Best Western for our ride today , she had stayed at a "warm shower" home the night before. This is when a volunteer offers you lodging in their home , usually a bed, shower and meal are given the riders. Cyclist are always grateful for this hospitality . 

We leave Del Rio on highway 90 and pass by the Laughlin Air Force Base, roads are beautiful until we get out of town and once again we will travel on chip-seal surface which is extremely rough, one experiences the same sensation as you get using a weed eater for hours. At night we check all the bolts and screws on our bikes to make sure nothing has come loose. We had only about 600 feet of climb today. 

We arrive at Fort Clark Springs RV park and motel by  early afternoon . According to the brochure, Fort Clark began as a US Army Post in 1852 to defend settlers along the Pecos Trail. It was an active base until 1947. A cavalry fort was home of the famed Black Seminole Indian Scouts as well as every historic Buffalo Soldier regiment in the US army. During WW2 it was headquarters for the 2nd cavalry and housed more then 3000 German POW's. It is now a private leisure living community . It is home to  the 3rd largest spring-fed pool in Tx. and history tells us the General Patton wanted a pool installed but the government said no so he had the spring pool built and told the government it was a watering hole for the horses. The army was not pleased.

Fort Clark office, typical stone used in all of the buildings here at the Fort
Heart 0 Comment 0
deer roam freely around the campgrounds and Fort
Heart 2 Comment 0
Jeff did this screen shot of the temperature here today
Heart 3 Comment 0
98degrees, sounds like a dip in the 68 degree springs is what we needed after our ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Thanks General Patton, a great horse-trough (pool)
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 1,133 miles (1,823 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0