Day 16 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

March 6, 2018

Day 16

Rodeo,NM to Hachita,NM

The ride today was on highway #80 until we reached the little four corner community of Animas, NM where we then took Hwy#9 into Hachita.

A pleasant ride where we stopped at the post office in Animas, mailed some cards and had a friendly chat with the local school bus driver. Along route 9 we passed a few old cattle stockyards that were once located next to the El Paso & South Western railroad tracks. Trains would stop and load the cattle on for transport. . We arrived in Hachita by late afternoon. Hachita is a small friendly  place. Dan the fire chief met us at the local community center where we were given permission to pitch our tents inside out of the cold night air. Apparently Hachita has been extending this charitable act to cyclist for some time now as there is absolutely no lodging in the area. Dan pointed out some highlights of the area and told us not to miss visiting the local cemetery  as the outlaw William Walters AKA, Bronco Billy was buried there. We did visit Bronco Billy and toured the village with its dirt streets and abandoned church. Not to be missed on your trip through or to Hachita is the local general store. Vera Mona was clerking at the time, a pleasant lady with a wealth of information. Prices were very fair and food was fresh.  

Pasta dinner prepared on the support bus by George and early bed for all. We might have been inside but it was still pretty cold as there wasn't any heat on. Jeff for one is glad to have a motel room for the next couple of nights. 

Flats: 1 -  we have discovered Goat Thorns!  they look similar in shape and size  to a whole clove but with more sharp spikes on them. 

Hachita Community Center, our lodging
Heart 2 Comment 0
group stop to check out historic markers about the El Paso railroad and map of area
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tim keeps saying its all downhill now, Maggie and I might disagree as we climb some big hills daily!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Jeff by Historic Marker
Heart 2 Comment 0
Jeff and George inside CC , note our pitched tent
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mike MontgomeryWas it difficult driving the stakes through the tile floor?
Reply to this comment
6 years ago

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 606 miles (975 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0