Day 11B - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

February 28, 2018

Day 11B

Rain,Hail and Hills

Bill and Vicki Sadin from New Orleans have joined us for a week of riding. It was a good  inaugural day for them, rain, Hail , Hills, extraordinary vistas  and 2400ft of elevation, we had it all today!  Everyone is tired but  very  pleased with the day. Well maybe not Tim, he seems rather chipper not the least bit tired , and not George as he didn't ride today but has other reasons to be tired, more on that later. 

We traveled from Tucson,Arizona to Benson Arizona. Our ride included all surfaces, the beautiful, well planned Julian Wash Greenway, hilly frontage roads and Interstate 10.  Kudos to the city of Tucson for such a beautiful bike trail .  We saw the PIMA Air and Space Museum (from a distance) as we cycled out of Tucson. Leaving at the bike trail we then traveled East of Tucson on city streets which had bike friendly lanes. Our first planned stop was a Dunkin'  Donuts , and what a fortuitous  stop that was. While in the coffee shop a rain and hail storm descended upon the area. We waited out the storm and enjoyed a great cup of coffee.  All clear and off we went once again . Tim unfortunately for Tim, but good timing for us came up with a flat tire at the entrance to an Acadia Elementary School in Old Vail, Arizona. Unlucky for Tim, good timing for us riders as we were able to quickly take shelter at the school as yet another hail and rail storm swept through. As we sat in the outer hallway staff clamored outside to do selfies in the hail, weather rarely change in Arizona!Weather cleared, sun shone and off we went once again. We met up with George at mile 27 for a lunch break and proceeded toward Benson on the most hilly frontage road I have ever ridden which explains the elevation we accumulated  today.  Twelve miles on Interstate#10 delivered us safely to Benson, Arizona.  On the interstate I have started a mind game to distract myself from all the heavy transport and car traffic whizzing  by us at 75 mph. I'm deciding what is most abundant  on the shoulders of the road, today tire rubber debris seemed to outnumber any other trash on the road. Bikers need to be very mindful of this debris as the  thin wires that get torn off with the truck tires causes many a flat bike tire. 

Or yes George, almost forgot, driving his motor home up a steep grade he hit bottom and unfortunately tore a portion of the rear bumper off. Tim says its just body work, George says I'm calling my insurance company. 

Pizza and beer  in the lobby for dinner and early evening for all. 

Pima Air and Space Museum, Tucson , Arizona(http://www.pimaair.org)
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bob ReidGeorge is right, let the insurance know, even if nothing is done until you get home, and of course take pictures of it. That’s all the wisdom i have today, i’m tired now🤗🤗
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
I think that's a storm rolling in.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bob Reidyupper, looks like a storm to me, keep safe🤗💖
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Maggie's bike seat cover collects some hail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Taking shelter in the school
Heart 1 Comment 0
mosaic at the elementary school
Heart 2 Comment 0
Thank you for the Shelter Acacia Elementary School
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful mountain vista
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 414 miles (666 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bob ReidThanks for all the information on your travels. Happy March first, snowstorm tomorrow 🤪😝
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Ron BakerHey George,

When I had a problem with my alternator in our MH we used the generator to keep the batteries charged. Did this for several days until we got back into the lower 48.

It has been fun following along on your trip.

Ron
Reply to this comment
6 years ago