Thailand is the Healthcare Capital of the World - Down Pat - CycleBlaze

February 14, 2024

Thailand is the Healthcare Capital of the World

It was time once again for my regular health checkup.  For that, there are sooooo many places to go but I simply choose ThaiNakarin because I've always gone there every time and the service is top notch.  

This trip I combined the dentist with the health checks since time was not enough.  The service was so good at both I'll simply rinse and repeat every time going forward.

The doctor told me an abundance of information that I had to write down otherwise I'd forget.  The way he approached the conversation was more like telling an athlete how to eat properly and make lifestyle choices for the goal of optimal performance.  He pointed out some areas of concern with:  kidney function, red blood cells, and cholesterol levels.  He said it's not a big deal but the trend indicates some diet and lifestyle changes need to be made.  He then listed them out in detail and included a mini biology lesson with each point.  I'm going to try and incorporate what he said but there's a lot to take in.

Sensing this he said, "Just start with the easiest one first.  Drink more water.  Like a shit ton more.  Don't dehydrate yourself.  You should be drinking 2 liters a day MINIMUM.  Then for ever hour on the bike, you need to be drinking 500mL to replenish the loss and make sure you take electrolytes in with the water also."

To build on that, you can simply buy electrolyte powder at the 7/11 and sprinkle it into the water, it is really really good stuff.

He also said, "You need to mix up more HIIT and strength training with the biking.  This will help strengthen your bones".

I had to laugh at that and explain to the doctor that I do this all the time, and then I told him what F45 Training is about.  The only reason I wasn't doing it for a month is because I couldn't find any studios on the road.  There used to be some in Phnom Penh but they couldn't survive covid and then closed.  There are just the typical gyms where you work out by yourself and I struggled with the motivation.   Then I recalled the conversation with Somjai where I asked her what kind of workouts she does to keep so fit.  She said she avoids the group fitness classes and just does it on her own.  Then I realized that if she could do it, there were no excuses why I couldn't also.

The doctor went on to say, "Cycling like you do on tours is low impact.  Judging by your heart, I bet you don't even break a sweat."  He was right.  At most it might elevate my heart rate 50% more but it's not even close to what can be achieved with HIIT classes.  There also needs to be resistance training in order to boost the muscles and strengthen bones.

He then took a closer look at my details and said, "I think I know what might be happening here, you're not doing enough resistance training for your bones and you're not eating enough red meat as well as cooked green vegetables.  You need a hell of a lot more iron in your blood.  Do those things as well as eat more fiber and work on more healthy fat sources.  If you do all these things, plus build in a few more rest days and knock back the cycling a little bit, your performance in the gym will increase.  And so will other kinds of performance if you get what I'm saying"

I thanked him a lot for all this as the consultation went way way over the alloted time.  The fact that you have doctors like this guy in Thailand who know so much about wellness and nutrition makes this country the greatest.  A typical doc elsewhere would just say the basics unless you had a serious health problem.  It's not only that, but Thailand also has specialists you can find for other health areas of your life that need improvement.   Whether it's physical, mental, psychological, or whatnot, you can be sure that Thailand is the place to go to find people who know how to get you back on the right track.

That's why without a doubt, this is the country to seek healing for the effects of the brutal Shanghai lockdown.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltBackground: I turned 78 end of Jan. 5'10" 135 pounds. I ride about 10-20 miles a day, limited by deteriorating knees. Resting heart rate usually around 45. I do pushups nightly for HIIT. Currently 2711 consecutive days of 100 or more. Started doing enough sets of 200 per night to total 1000 per night a little over 3 years ago. Currently able to do a set of 500 on most any night, but usually do 400 or less.

23 Sep 2010, I had a widowmaker heart attack, but it did not feel traumatic to me. My cardiologist said all the years of riding and running had built up collateral circulation as the LAD slowly narrowed before collapsing. The heart attack resulted in heart damage and the healing left cardiac scarring so that my ejection volume dropped by about 30%. One month before the heart attack, I ran a 5k in 21:20 and did the first mile in 5:50 which was about 40 seconds faster than intended and resulted in going anaerobic and finishing at a slogging pace. But it illustrates how fit I was while having a defective heart. They still talk about me... My cardiologist retired 3 years ago and the new one said "I've heard about you!" My cardiologist said I was the fittest patient he had ever had by far and I was the one in a million proof that a heart attack can overtake anyone. He also said I should expect another heart attack in 3 to 5 years, likely fatal... 13 1/2 years ago.

Since then, I have read tons of medical research journals and have seen post heart attack care change considerably as well as preventative strategies. I now eat primarily fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans, etc. focusing on things that are: 1. high nutrition density 2. anti inflammatory 3. antioxidant. I totally avoid sugar and almost all processed flours and foods. I eat fish and rarely red meat. I take numerous vitamin, mineral and herbal supplements based on their specific effects on body physiology. I avoid most fats, but target omega 3 fats. I have eaten zero candy, cake, or sweets since the heart attack... Sugar and processed flour and processed meats are all closely linked to cardiac problems. I also abstain from all alcohol, after all, it is really metabolically a long chain sugar. Bad stuff despite what you read about limited beer or wine being good for the heart, but that is just my take on it.

Despite the above, I do travel. I have been to Europe a few times and Hawaii a few times and Trinidad a few times since the heart attack. It is possible to maintain a fanatical diet on travel.

I say all this so that you know you too can follow a healthy lifestyle. You just need to decide you will do it, and you should have a reason. My reason is so that I can benefit others. (Like following cycle journals to give assistance in nature ID or going fishing most days, and giving away fillets to friends and to less privileged folks, and fixing things and enjoying friends, family volunteering for Scouting and church and more.) Besides, I like bike riding and fishing and photographing interesting stuff and wood carving and more.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Fit SteveYou're an inspiration Bill. I'm going to follow this advice and live healthy lifestyle also. Things are really progressing in the right direction
Reply to this comment
1 month ago