Alleghe To Cortina. - Dyn-o-mite In The Dolomites 2022 - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2022

Alleghe To Cortina.

Over Passo Falzarego.

Up to Passo Falzarego.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Took this shot from the window of our room just before hitting the hay for the night.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The same shot this morning. Upon some research, I found out that Alleghe Lake was formed in 1771 by a landslide from the adjacent Mount Piz. I assumed that it was dammed.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After arriving in Alleghe, we spent most of our time lounging in the room.  I spent the majority of my time working on the journal, and Sue went out for a short walk to get some snacks.  It's a small place and perfect for a one day layover.  

Our room in the Sport Hotel Europa was on the top floor with a view of the lake, and in addition to being a great room with a great view, I also tried to avoid being crowned several times by the sloped ceilings.  I must admit that I'm a slow learner, and it took several good bonks on the head for me to finally learn my lesson.  The ones in the middle of the night were especially memorable lessons, and ones that my noggin' will take with me into the coming days.

Before bed, Sue and I watched the long highlights from the Tour de France, and watched an amazing performance by Tom Pidcock to take the win; the youngest rider to ever win on Alpe D'Huez.  What was amazing about this performance was the fact that the riders also climbed Col du Galibier and Col de la Croix de Fer previously.  This kid is 22, and is in his debut Tour de France.  He's a guy to watch.  He's a fantastic bike handler and an aggressive rider who took huge risks when descending on today's stage.  It was actually scary to watch.  But, I digress.  

Let's get back to the more subdued Patrick and Susanna tour.

After being thrown onto the busy road out of Alleghe, Sue hollered from behind and said: "Why aren't we on the cycle path over there?" Roger that!
Heart 6 Comment 0

When we awoke this morning, it was evident that we were now solidly in road cycling heaven.  The bike storage room was full of top of the line bikes, and with several world famous passes and cols around, it is no coincidence that bicycle enthusiasts flock to this region from all over the world.  But, there is one big drawback for us.  

Like us, road cyclists are notoriously early risers; and this is the first time on this trip that we arrived at breakfast to find it already quite busy with tables full of the lycra crowd.   We were kind of perturbed, because we are usually the first ones at the push button coffee machine in the morning.  Hey!  

Roadside Rosaries.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Another incredible weather forecast today.  At 1000m above sea level the morning temperatures were perfect and we were on the road before 9am again.

We enjoyed the the cycle path out of Alleghe until it abruptly ended at Caprille.  Caprille is at a cross roads of several converging routes, and is a peculiarly busy little place.  Routes from here lead to Canazai, Bolzano and Cortina, so naturally these kinds of places can be quite frenetic with traffic.  

We were thankful to get out of the chaos and take the right turn onto SR203 and leave the traffic behind.  But, this was also where the long climb to Passo Falzarego began;  a long 1000m climb rising in about 20kms.  The grade was manageable as we just chugged along rising through wonderful beech and spruce forests.  The traffic came in spurts, and for the most part the cars and motorcycles gave plenty of room when passing.  

I just realized that we have been down through this way in 2016 on our tour from Prague to Venice on our way to Passo Faedia.  It's strange that I don't remember it at all.  

Rising out of Caprille on SR203. Looking back SE towards Alleghe and the Monte Civetta group.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Susanna climbing up the lower slopes of Passo Falzarego The Monte Civetta group in the background..
Heart 4 Comment 0
Sue climbing. Great weather and very little traffic other than the usual motorcycle crowd.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Passo Pordoi will have to wait for later. It's Passo Falzarego we want now.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Getting up there. The best thing about cycling slow up mountains is that you get to see incredible vistas, observe insects on flowers, and butterflies flit into the forest. It takes your mind off what you are actually doing.....cycling up a mountain.
Heart 5 Comment 0
An old distance marker. 1851m above sea level. 6072.835 feet above sea level our Imperial measurement readers.
Heart 2 Comment 0

By the last two kms,  we were both ready for the climb to be over.  After a few short switchbacks, and a short tunnel we arrived at the top of Passo Falzarego at 2117m above sea level.  

The obligatory pass shot. We asked another cycling couple to take our photo and we returned the favor and took a photo of them. There was a line up of cyclists after us waiting patiently to take their own summit shot. It's amazing what an accomplishment it is for so many cyclists. Sass di Stria peak rising left of center.
Heart 7 Comment 0
There are photos of this refugio from the 1930's inside. A landmark up here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Panorama from the pass. In the far background you can see Marmolada rising far right, the sight of the recent glacier collapse, sadly taking several people's lives.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Why not have a celebratory beer at the top? Cheers.
Heart 3 Comment 2
David MathersCheers for big beers. I see you have beer #2 on standby to your right!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraHa ha. I wouldn't dare touch that one. That's Sue's.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We spent about an hour at the pass and watched the parade of the lyrca and leather clad crowd arrive and depart, as cyclists and motorcyclists seemed to be in the majority.  It was quite a busy place due to the fact that the road over Passo Valparola also joins up here.  Sue bought a sticker for her bike to commemorate the achievement and we were off.  Down we go!

Looking southwest towards Passo Giau, which we will likely be heading over in the coming days.
Heart 3 Comment 0
You can just make out the faint slash on the left with the white car. That's our road, taking us east to Cortina.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Small white chapel. Passo Falzarego.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The road from Passo Valparola on the left merges with the road up to Passo Falzarego on the right.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The gift shop in the refugios at the top had all kinds of memorabilia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cortina coming into view.
Heart 7 Comment 0

So, we're here for three nights and we will likely take a day ride and figure in a hike somewhere.  Perhaps even do nothing at all.  

Cortina D'Ampezzo valley. The Torrente Bòite is the main river running through this stunning valley. The peak on the right is Mount Antelao at 3,263m. The peaks on the left are Mount Sorapis at 3,205m and the Croda Marcora at 3154m. Amazing.
Heart 8 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 333 km (207 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Keith ClassenAn amazing place to cycle … brings back some fond memories of our ride in that area. Enjoy!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Hannah LeeReally enjoying the scenic imagery so far. So incredible. Glad you two are enjoying the trip, happy riding!!🚴🚴
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraHi Hannah. Thanks for taking the time to write. It's such an incredible area. Hope you get out on your own tour one day. I have a hunch that you'd love cycle touring. Hope you're good. I'm sure you're loving the break from school.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Keith ClassenHi Keith. It's pretty stunning alright. It's nice to be back.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetFunny how you don't really remember the things you zip by on a descent... We did the same route in reverse, Cortina to Caprile. I don't remember much from the summit because, by the time I get there, Al is antsy to get moving again.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraThanks for the reminder to stop on the descents. I'm trying not to be that antsy guy on this trip. Because,. I usually am. ha ha.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWe cycle here and also skied there from Dobbiaco. Hat a great place and your photos are wonderful!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago