Reflections - Death (Valley) Wish - CycleBlaze

April 1, 2019

Reflections

To anyone considering an Adventure Cycling Association tour, my advice would be to DO IT! A handful of the other riders on our tour have ridden with ACA in the past and they were big fans without reservation. They also said that ACA tours tend to attract the kind of riders who are competent and experienced, without being fussy or snobby (well, Jim and I are kind of bike snobs, but in the best possible and most endearing way). ACA seems to have the communication, logistics, and experiences on the bike nailed down to a science. If Sue and Dan are examples of the type of ride leaders they employ, that is a winner too, as those two were fully devoted to our ride, without fussing about and trying to be "wet nurses."

If you're thinking of riding Death Valley you should absolutely do it! Be prepared, though, physically, psychologically and logistically. It would be tough to ride here solo without some serious planning to acquire food, water, and camping facilities. That would be another recommendation to do it via an ACA tour. And, wow, get your mind right for some serious climbing and potentially wicked winds. Also prepare to be dazzled by this place. With any luck your significant other will be asking you to "pinch me" too .... but don't get your hopes up about any hidden implication there ; - )

In way of homage to our traveling companions, here are single or group photos of a great group of people with whom we had to pleasure of riding this trip.

So long Death Valley ....

Sarah
Heart 0 Comment 0
Volney
Heart 0 Comment 0
John (L) & Dan (R)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mike & Margaret
Heart 0 Comment 0
Altana, Steve, Colleen, and Marie (L to R)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ride Leader Dan, ready for a long day in the sun
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jim and the Ghost Rider
Heart 0 Comment 0
Andy, w/ a guest appearance by Steve.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pierre, in the middle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ride Leader Sue (on the right) Me (blech) on the left
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0