Day 3 -Round Trip from Furnace Creek Campground to Zabriskie Point, Twenty Mule Team Canyon: Testing our skills on the off road - Jack and Janet PhotoBike Tour -Death Valley 2011 - CycleBlaze

February 28, 2011

Day 3 -Round Trip from Furnace Creek Campground to Zabriskie Point, Twenty Mule Team Canyon: Testing our skills on the off road

 
When we checked into the campground yesterday we had some concerns regarding noise. While our tent sights were all located on the edge of the campground in the shade of the trees our view to the front was all RV's and some large ones at that. We were concerned that there might be noise from generators....to our surprise I think we only heard one all week. However - there was construction going on at the Death Valley Visitors Center (remodeling) and they started at 6AM everyday. Let's just say we never did need an alarm clock to get up and get going.

We decided to ride to Zabriskie Point and Twenty Mule Team Canyon. Our camp sight sits at 198' below sea level so of course every ride goes up. What we did not expect was that every ride we will do this week will have quite a bit of up. The elevation is so deceiving in DV you can look straight in front off you and it looks flat then turn and look behind you and you have gone up 1000' - after a week I still have not quite figured it out however it made for some interesting and fun rides. Zabriskie Point is at about 1200' and Twenty Mule Team Canyon is up from there. Think the day was around 2000' of gain. Which made going back to camp a fun ride! Always a down.

When we returned to camp today we found a large group of motorcycle guys camping just down from us. At least 25 bikes and as many riders. I am here to tell you they are the least of your worries. They talk quietly and are some of the quietest neighbors we have ever had.

I want to remind everyone that I am here for a photo workshop of sorts so there will be lots of pictures. Also these will be 'pre' photo-shop or 'as is' so to speak and this is my first work really working the camera..bare with me please.

Time to wake up!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
20 Mule Team Canyon Road
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesHow was this to ride on? The ride up to this road looks like a steady climb but doable. What was your experience?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Another 20 Mule Team Canyon Road
Heart 1 Comment 0
Photographer at work!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jack is taking photos now.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 31 miles (50 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0