Day 12 - Mauthausen to Melk - Donaueschingen to Prague - CycleBlaze

September 18, 2019

Day 12 - Mauthausen to Melk

What a great day to ride a bike in a beautiful location.  It was sunny but a perfect temperature with another tail wind, on a slightly downhill, well paved trail.  I know we are going to pay for this somewhere down the road.  We set off from Mauthausen on different sides of the river.  The Dunlop’s took the North (left bank) while Patti and I took the South (right slightly longer bank) but we met up again at coffee in Grein at about the same time.   After coffee we all took the bicycle ferry to the south side to continue onto Melk, the location of the world famous abbey.  The conditions were so perfect we decided to do this long ride of 88km rather than stop before Melk.  We passed many quaint towns and villages and a couple of locks on the Danube before reaching our destination for the night.

Fall is around the corner so we see lots of squash and pumpkins in the fields. These decorated ones were in a cute village on the south side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching Grein after we crossed a bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cute pastries at the coffee stop. The apple strudel here was amazingly delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The town square in Grein a 500 year old town on the Danube.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grein from the bicycle ferry boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How many people does it take to pump up a tire?
Heart 0 Comment 1
The pump/work station on the bike trail.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonNow that’s handy.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
A river cruise boat heading west and passing by the village of Markburg on the north/left bank.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Standing in a pumpkin patch.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonYep, there you are ... always in the weeds. 😀 👍📇🎃
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The abbey as we enter Melk.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The abbey in the evening light. The hotel below it is where we are staying. We have the 2 rooms with the balconies and awnings that are open.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 583 km (362 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0