Day 10 - Passau to Schloss Mühldorf ðŸ‡¦ðŸ‡¹ - Donaueschingen to Prague - CycleBlaze

September 16, 2019

Day 10 - Passau to Schloss Mühldorf ðŸ‡¦ðŸ‡¹

Now in Austria

We left Germany today and we are now in Austria.  I must comment on the positive respect Germans have for cyclists.  I think there are two reasons for this, first is that there are a lot of cyclists here of all ages and shapes.  Second, by German law if a motorist hits a cyclist no matter how stupid the cyclist is the car driver is deemed to be at fault, hence they are very cautious around cyclists.  Wouldn’t that be nice at home.  For the past few days we have seem mostly e-bikes of varying types ridden by young and old.  We met a German woman on the trail and she sad that the market for e-bikes and cycle tourism is exploding in Germany.  Carol commentes a few days ago that she is riding a Model T (a Surly long haul trucker) while everyone else is riding a Tesla.

The ride today was truly beautiful along the winding Danube.  We crossed the river twice by bicycle ferry so we rode both the north and south bank.  Tonight we are staying at the Mühldorf castle a 4* hotel.  We walked 3km to dinner since our hotel did not serve dinner.  We had a lovely meal and the restaurant owner kindly drove us back to our hotel so we didn’t have to walk back in the dark on tired legs.   He was rewarded for his kindness.

As for the day I will let the photos do the talking.

A fountain by the backside of the major cathedral in Passau.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the cathedral and the amazing organ.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonWhat a beautiful church!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
St Paul’s from the river level.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A map of Passau and the confluence of the Danube and the Inn Rivers. This explains why the 2013 flood was so bad yet there was no loss of life.
Heart 1 Comment 0
St Stephens dating back to 1075AD.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of Passau as we leave town. You can see the confluence of the Danube and the Inn rivers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A cute village on the south bank of the Danube in Austria.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A cruise ship passing through a lock on the Danube.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti contemplating a swim in the Danube.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the route and ferry crossings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Danube on a bicycle ferry from the north to the south side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The signage for the Donauweg in Austria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have run across these Swiss ladies, many times on this tour. They are riding e-bikes and it is one of them who inspired me to buy the poncho.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonLove the trailer!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The castle on the hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti chatting with the Swiss ladies on our second ferry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
To give you an idea how high the water was in Passau the year Ron and Carol rode the Danube the first time look for the date 2013 that is well above my head. The hotel in which we stayed in Passau would have been completely under water. This scale is on the side of the Rathaus (city hall) close to the Danube.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Schloss Mühldorf or accommodation for tonight and of course it is on the top floor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed this beautiful golf course on the way to dinner tonight so Patti took out her air driver.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 718 km (446 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0