Day 9 - Deggendorf to Passau - Donaueschingen to Prague - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2019

Day 9 - Deggendorf to Passau

Last day in Germany

Today was  our last day in Germany.  We started in Deggendorf and ended Passau out last stop in Germany.  After cruising through Deggendorf on a quiet Sunday morning we headed for the trail along the river.  We ran into detour but even that was well marked on our route, the Donauweg.  We had coffee at the only place open on Sunday morning and stopped along the river to enjoy a quick sandwich before reaching Passau.  Passau dates back to 500BC so a just little older than all of North America.  Passau is where the Danube really becomes a big river because it is joined by a few smaller ones.  It is also the last major city in this part of Germany before reaching Austria. 

Patti waiting patiently in the sunshine this morning in Deggendorf.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The city square in Deggendorf on a Sunday AM, quiet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ron and Carol passing a beautiful field of yellow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is an interesting planetary display along the trail near Vilshofen, here is Saturn.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking our bikes down under a highway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An archway for a bike event of some sort. The archway is constructed of beer cases.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Vilshofen from our side of the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who said there are no bears in Germany?
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many locks along the Danube.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Enjoying and after ride drink while we wait for our rooms to be ready.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Checkout these 2 long haired dachshunds in their bike carriers. Murphy?
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonNow these are cool. Perhaps Murphy might like to ride along with you in one of these.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Even wth a detour the route was well signed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Danube foods markings over the years. Note 2013 was the second highest which is why Ron and Carol had to bypass this city in 2013. It was seriously underwater, even the train station.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The castle across the river after dinner tonight.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 779 km (484 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Gail JohnsonIt looks like you are all doing well and continuing to enjoy your journey. The weather appears to be much warmer. Unbelievable how high the flood waters were when Carol and Ron were there before.
Glad you are all having fun. Once again, your photos tell a wonderful story. BTW, love the arch built from beer cases.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago