Tuttlingen to Sigmaringen: Castles and More Castles - Danube 2013 - CycleBlaze

June 1, 2013

Tuttlingen to Sigmaringen: Castles and More Castles

Even more beautiful scenery today. Apparently this section of the trail has the most castles. It was so beautiful to cycle along and come across many awesome castles. We got started at 8:30 today, so we are improving. It is not unlike backpacking for several days, as it takes time in the morning to pack all the gear away in the various panniers. I must say the Eagle Creek packing system is working great and our Arkel panniers are awesome and bone dry, after another day of rain. Actually the weather was better today, as we did have some dry, clear periods. It is something about the rain though, that gives a special effect to the scenery. We had to cycle through several patches of deep, some VERY deep flooding on the trail, as much as 1 1/2 feet of water. A little like peddling in a pool....difficult. I almost lost it in the deepest one, which would not have been a pleasant experience. The bonus was, we got a much needed bike wash, which unfortunately didn't last long. The local people have been very kind and helpful. Most times when we are stopped looking at our map, someone will stop their car and ask if we are ok. At one point today we had turned down the trail and two elderly ladies motioned to us to stop. Through sign language, we got the message that the trail was impassable, due to extreme flooding ahead. One of the ladies went home and got her bike and lead us to a detour. We were very impressed with her kindness. Along the trails there are many domestic and wild lilac bushes, filling the air with such a beautiful scent. There are also some farm smells, just incase you get tired of the floral scent! This was also a day of many hills, which took us by a bit of a surprise, but they build strong muscles, right??!! Sigmaringen, is a very beautiful town, where we will rest our weary bodies for the night. Up and onward tomorrow.

Another photo of the beautiful Musicians fountain in Donaueschingen
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 96 km (60 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0