Rain, rain!!: Did I mention that it rained? - Danube 2013 - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2013

Rain, rain!!: Did I mention that it rained?

Today was our first day of our cycle down the Danube. We got to put all our rain gear to the test, and I am happy to say that we managed to stay dry, despite non stop rain. The neoprene seat cover kept the Brooks saddle happy, and the Gore gortex shoe covers were a great addition to the usual rain jacket & pants. Despite all the rain, it was a great day. We didn't leave Donaueschingen until noon, (we need to improve our departure time), and we rode as far as Tullingen today. We only took a wrong turn about 6 times, so room for improvement there, as well. The trail is well marked, but you have to be aware. It is more beautiful that I had imagined. One turn that we missed had us going though a grass field for about 1 km, with VERY narrow muddy ruts with water half way up our wheels, in some spots. We decided that this was not the trail, so turned around, did it again, turned around, and did it for the third time! We finally found the trail after our bikes were covered in mud. We had a good chuckle over this. Ron had some bike issues near the end of the day, but fortunately, there was a fantastic bike mechanic in town who fixed it right away. I forgot to mention that when Ron put the bikes together in Frankfurt, he did it a 3:30AM. Do you think he had a little jet lag?? Tomorrow is another adventure, (in the rain).

Heart 0 Comment 0
No rain shall touch my skin!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a pretty covered bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0
Musician's Fountain in Donaueschingen
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Danube
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who said pigs can't swim?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 42 km (26 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0