Nueberg to Vohburg: No water, just mud - Danube 2013 - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2013

Nueberg to Vohburg: No water, just mud

Today was a beautiful, very warm day for cycling. We added about 18 kilometres and and about an hour and a half to our journey today due to mud and getting lost within the first two hours of the morning. Someone, not me...just saying, decided that we should go on this track along the river, that turned into mud and wet, deep sand, needless to say, we had to turn around and go the right way. Just when I had cleaned our shoes the night before! We met a really nice young couple from New Zealand who were heading down that same trail, so we got them turned around before they hit the mud. They had started on the Atlantic Ocean side of Europe and were on week three, also going to Budapest. We spent almost three hours this afternoon in Ingolstadt, getting a few changes and made to our bikes, and getting SIM cards for our phones. We changed our peddles to dual side, so we don't always have to wear our SPD shoes, which comes in handy if we want to ride to dinner, etc. Ingolstadt is a beautiful city, very typical of all the towns we come to, with cobblestone streets, (not the best for peddling), and wonderful ancient buildings. We ran into the couple from Switzerland, that we had cycled with part of a day, on Monday.We had a good time exchanging our cycling with fish stories! I am sure we will see them again in a day or so. Most of our trails today were dirt or gravel, but dry. They were all fairly compacted, which made for easy cycling. We stopped in Vohburg for the night, and we are staying at the best hotel so far. We actually have an apartment and WiFi....YES! It is new, and right in the city square, for only 50 Euros. What a deal. We rode our bikes about 3 kilometres out of town to have dinner at an amazing beer garden. There is a bike trail all the way from town to this beer garrden. How civil it that! One could get used to those trips. Tomorrow we hope for no detours so we can get more kilometres in. Not too optimistic, though as the river is still rising.

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 441 km (274 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0