Donauworth to Neuberg: Peddling with fish...believe it or not!!!! - Danube 2013 - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2013

Donauworth to Neuberg: Peddling with fish...believe it or not!!!!

Sun all day!!! Today was the toughest and most adventuresome day, so far on the route. We started off a few kilometres west of Donauworth on a cycle path that eventually turned into a field, but brought us into this beautiful village, where we stopped for coffee and bought some fruit at another local market. The women come to these markets every day to by their food items for the day's meals. The produce looks wonderful, and it is white asparagus season in the country, which we have had daily. Soon after we came upon yet another detour. We turned around and rode along side another group, who were in the same predicament. We left them not too long down the trail, and then proceeded to go about 20 kms, out of our way to get around the flooding. After asking direction several times, and understanding about six words, we were off again through some more farmers fields. It just got worse from there. We cycled through, or walked through many flooded areas. At one point we took off our cycling shoes and put on flip flops, which are really difficult to peddle with in clipless peddles! The most bizarre experience today was peddling in deep water,with our flip flops on, with fish swimming all around us, some as big as 18 inches long!!! I was trying so hard to stop laughing, so I could keep peddling. Ron said that as he was peddling through these fish, "it would be a really hard story to tell, as no one would ever believe us." On the next flooded area, Ron made it through, but my flip flop came off the peddle so I had to get off and push. It was hard to get my leg over and off the bike, as the back end kept turning sideways in the current. That was a real test to our waterproof panniers, because mine were completely submerged. I am happy to report that they kept everything completely dry, especially my iPad! Just to add to the day, it was also the hilliest, so far. Many more days like today, and we will run out of time to get to Budapest for our flight home. Day seven of peddling tomorrow, and I don't think we have time for any rest days with this flooding adding so much time. Sorry to be so long winded today, but quite the day it was!

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 376 km (233 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0