Linz to Grein: OMG...get me off the crazy highway!!! - Danube 2013 - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2013

Linz to Grein: OMG...get me off the crazy highway!!!

We had a rather late start this morning, as we both slept in a little longer than usual. Must have needed it.We had a great breakfast at The Hotel Wolfinger, which was also a very pleasant stay. Breakfast included squeeze your own OJ, expresso coffees, eggs, fruit and the usual yogurts, cheese, meat tomatoes, and amazing breads and homemade jams. We cycled through the city gate, over a bridge and within 5 minutes , we were into water, mud and sand. What would the day be without that?! After a few kilometres, were were on a pleasant cycle path along the Danube....for while. We soon came across some people who we assumed they were telling us we couldn't go further, where we needed to cross a bridge to get to the other side. They indicated that we had to go inland along a highway until we managed to get back on the trail...maybe. The mistake we made, (a very bad one), was to go on the highway, rather than cross it and a detour around on country roads. The highway was crazy busy, and at one point a large truck honked at us, which is very unusual here. By this time we came to the conclusion that bikes were not allowed on this highway, but is was about 5 kilometres before we had a chance to exit. When we finally came to a turn off road, we stopped, and a kind gentleman in a car on the other side, stopped to tell us we were't allowed on the highway, and that it was very dangerous, (no kidding). He showed us how to go around on the country roads where we stayed most of the day. Another time today, we were stopped on a country road, and a gentleman stopped his car in the middle of the road, on a curve, got out, crossed the road and asked if we needed help. How awesome is that?! A car came up behind his and Ron said something about moving his car, and he said, "no problem,it's ok". We had lots of freindly help with directions today. Every time we tried to get back near the river, it was closed. We are starting to cringe every time we see the river getting close. For much of the day we were not quite sure where we were, just trying to keep heading east, but on the wrong side of the river, as it was impossible to cross. After some time, we were back on the highway again.....no choice, and we were told this section was ok for bikes. It was not as bad as previously, but still not pleasant. After about 15 kilometres on the highway we came to Grein, where the road, and cycle paths were closed. So,here we are for the night, in a very pleasant town, and hotel. It is the "romantic" town of Austria??!! The info centre lady told us that they hope to have the cycle path cleared by morning. We can see the equipment out there working, so are hoping. The devastation all along the route is incredible, and there is equipment out clearing mud, sand and debris everywhere. Having said all this, it felt so good to be back on our bikes today, after yesterdays train journey. There is a definite "high", to spending several hours on a bike, day after day. Neither of us has ever lamented how far we have to go...we are just enjoying "the journey".....but keep me off of those highways, please.

River Cruise boat in dock. There is no boat traffic allowed on the river right now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steel plant in Linz
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike, river, swans.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Help, we're lost...again!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Austrian home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All the homes have beautifully maintained yards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of corn fields along the paths.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More help. This is the guy who parked his car in the middle of the road to come over and help us. Thank you!
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many castles in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We want to go to that side!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel for the night in Grein.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike tattoos!
Heart 1 Comment 0
I think this Maypole needs to come down. It looks like dead Christmas boughs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful buildings in the square with our hotel. This one is a bank.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finally...beer time!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finally...beer time!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the theatre in Grein, which is the oldest community theatre in Austria, built in 1790.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grein city square and fountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More local gardens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Let's walk, and get some exercise!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Greinburg castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Greinburg castle from our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of the valley from the castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bon appetite!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of Grein
Heart 0 Comment 0
Danube from the Castle with our hotel ( yellow) below.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seriously studying a route. No mud, water or crazy highways, please!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 949 km (589 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0