Straubing To Linz, Austria: 194.62 kilometres by train, 5 kilometres by bike - Danube 2013 - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2013

Straubing To Linz, Austria: 194.62 kilometres by train, 5 kilometres by bike

After visiting the information centre this morning we were disappointed to learn that we would have to take a train to Passau. The paths, as well as many of the highways are closed. We thought we would take the train passed Passau to Obernzell, but that station and the village are under water. Such terrible devastation! We used the extra time to take my bike to a shop to have the brakes checked, which were giving me problems. Turns out the pads were completely smooth. Good thing we had that done. We boarded the train to Passau at 11:30, with one stop. The trains are good at accommodating bikes, but the on and off is still a pain, plus we aren't CYCLING! When we got to Passau, Ron spoke to a couple cyclists from Vancouver at the station, and concluded that we should get back on a train to Linz, Austria,.......and here we are. We are staying at The Hotel Wolfinger, which is lovely, and right in the centre of the old city. Linz is a really charming city. It was originally a salt and iron industrial city, but now has a large contemporary art and cultural scene. Tomorrow we are going to cycle towards Melk, and see what happens.

Sraubing city centre
Heart 0 Comment 0
Train day!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Linz, Austria. I'm not sure what the rattan thing is all about. It looked rather out of place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast at our Linz hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Goodbye to The Wolfinger Hotel, Linz. Great stay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Linz square
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of Linz city square.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 200 km (124 miles)
Total: 883 km (548 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0