Bad Abbach to Worth: Another crazy adventure....hospital! - Danube 2013 - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2013

Bad Abbach to Worth: Another crazy adventure....hospital!

Sunny and warm. Today was the best riding so far, no mud, no water, and the detours were on country roads with more bike traffic than cars. We stopped in beautiful Regensburg for coffee and bought our lunch supplies at yet another amazing outdoor market. This city is sandbagging like crazy. The Danube is the highest it has been in over 1000 years! We left Regensburg on our way to Straubing, where we planned to catch a train from there, past Passau, as all this area is impassible. From Regansberg it was all paved cycle path and almost no hills...heaven. We were finally on our way to an eighty plus kilometre day. We had just passed Worth when Ron said he had just got stung on his bottom, inside lip by a wasp. We didn't have any antihistamine, but he said he was ok, it just stung like crazy. It was swelling a little, but not too bad. About 4 kilometres down the trail, his lip was HUGE, and it was moving down his throat. We needed to see a doctor! We cycled to the nearest village, and a lady told us the nearest doctor was 4 kilometres back, so off we went. I asked the first person I saw in the town, where the doctor's office was. He said "come I will walk with you there". The doctors office was closed, so he walked with us to the hospital. So there, he is for the night, in intensive care, no less. A little extreme, but they said the swelling must come down first and they want to monitor him for the night. I just left him, and the swelling is indeed going down. He is hooked up to a lot of machines for a wasp sting. He is getting good care and at least four doctors have seen him. He has never had a reaction like this before. German wasps must be wicked! We will be in our saddles again tomorrow morning, but because it will be Sunday, the doctors don't come in until after 10am, so a late start. Now we have heard that you cannot get to Straubing, because all the roads are closed, so we may have to cycle back to Regensburg for the train. I just did a google search, and it showed Straubing under water. Next adventure......

Our hotel in Bad Abbach
Heart 0 Comment 0
More beautiful poppies on the cycleway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today's adventure! The wasp sting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Swelling way down and this is dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ron's "hotel" for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 633 km (393 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0