Vohburg to Bad Abbach: Highways and more highways - Danube 2013 - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2013

Vohburg to Bad Abbach: Highways and more highways

Sunny and warm. Our morning started out with an amazing breakfast and just a little coffee. Our apartment did not provide breakfast, which was the first time for this, but the owner sent us just around the corner for "a very good breakfast." We stared out with two small coffee's each in the apartment, and then walked to the cafe. We chose a breakfast for two, for 16 Euros, and we had no clue what we were getting. First came champagne and orange juice, a basket of amazing rolls, jam, many different cheeses, smoked salmon, ham, prosciutto, salami, cucumber, tomatoes, and eggs. Not to mention six more expressos! We were pumping those peddles! We started out on bike trails, and through very small villages, but we soon had to use mainly highways for most of the day, due to flooding and detours. I had just read a quote this morning that said "there is always beauty in a detour," which is true, but also HILLS. Part of today's journey was to include a twenty minute boat journey down the Danube Gorge, to avoid these long hills on the highway, but unfortunately the river was too high for the boat. At one point, the downhill was so steep, I thought I would wear out my break pads. There is absolutely no shoulders on the highway, but I must say the cars are very courteous and go way over to the other lane when passing, or wait until they can. It's good, but still a little stressful at times. We had planned on riding to Regensburg today, but since it is such a large city, we decided to spend the night in this small village and explore Regensburg, 20 kms up the road tomorrow morning. Only a little mud and water today...yeh! We have called it a day in Bad Abbach, the name is a little unsettling, and we have nice digs in the Hotel Park Cafe. We, or I should probably say I,am loving the beer at the end of the day. I'm not sure why it took me so long to switch from a 3:00 coffee to beer! Ron would say the I am hooked on German beer. We just saw on the news that Deggendorf is completely under water. We will be going there the day after tomorrow, so we will see what happens. The adventure continues! We roll on to day nine in the morning.

I am sure this says poodles only in this cafe!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maybe we should have swam accross Europe!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Canadian Boy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coffee time
Heart 0 Comment 0
Should we hang them up?!
Heart 0 Comment 0
These are everywhere. Have't found out what they are yet.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 572 km (355 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0