Gorges de la Nesque: My favourite - Cycling Provence - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2017

Gorges de la Nesque: My favourite

Today was the longest planned ride of the tour at 102km/64mi with 4500ft of climbing. I have done this ride before and it seemed much harder but then it was after 700mi in 8 days. We rode through Bedoin another start point for Mt Ventoux but we just rode right through to the Gorges de la Nesque. We rode up to the highest of the gorge and then returned to Vaison la Romaine. We could have carried on to Sault before coming back but that would have added another 20-25km to an already long day. Having said that I might just do it if I ever come back because the long downhill makes it a little easier. The weather was cooler this AM (20C/68F) with light wind. There is rain in the area but we dodged it, at least today. Our look with the rain may run out tomorrow.

A view of the lower town from our hotel room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunrise this morning over Vaison-la-Romain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hotel has 2 separate buildings. We are in the secondary building with the pool.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My Ventoux was ever present again today as we rode through more vineyards but also cherry orchards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cyclists on the climb up the gorge. It may have been long but not hard max 5% grade and mostly 2-3%.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fellow tour member coming through one of the many rock arches of the ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I saw this guy and his dog at the top. The dog's name was Mylo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the gorge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Me coming through an archway on the way down hence the jacket.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mylo on the way back down, do you think Mr Darcy would want one of these?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 102 km (63 miles)
Total: 477 km (296 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0