Lakes Calafquen and Panguipulli: A spectacular ride! - Cycling Chile - CycleBlaze

January 10, 2018

Lakes Calafquen and Panguipulli: A spectacular ride!

Today was an amazing ride around Lake Panguipulli which means “land of lions”. We were surrounded by volcanoes of varying heights and shapes some of which were beautiful to behold. The distance was 65km with 3700+ft of climbing. There was only one steep spot (10%+ for a km) but we were slowly climbing most of the day and it was hot. I am still not completely acclimatized and by the time I reached the hotel I was DONE. After a short lie down and two bottles of cold water I was good to go, so the lesson here for those coming from northern climates is beware of the heat and sun and drink lots of water even if you don’t think you need it. Multiple days of heat stress can catch up with you. We are staying at the Nothofagus Lodge and Spa located in the Huilo Huilo Biological Reserve for 2 nights. It is truly a very interesting place. I have a few photos now but more tomorrow. Tomorrow is a “rest day” but it will not be without activity just not cycling.

This sign says it all, volcanoes, food, wine and thermal baths.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of Lake Panguipulli.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti on the road with the volcano in the foreground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Proof Christopher was actually riding his bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another volcano.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Salad at lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two Aussies from Kangaroo Island who are spending 3 months cycle touring and camping in Chile and Argentina.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a beautiful sight.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A map of the region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down from our room on the 4th floor to H&C on the ground floor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Across to Patti on the circular ramp up to our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking up the spiral ramp to the rooms with an indoor waterfall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view up the central tower.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hooking up the trailer to start the morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti and me with Cristian by the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 336 km (209 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0