Truckin' Bikes: Cross-continent drive to the ride start - Crocodile Dreaming - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2013

Truckin' Bikes: Cross-continent drive to the ride start

From Canberra to Kununurra via Darwin is not one of the world's shortest drives at about 5000km.

There's a lot to see on the way. Even if done at a fast clip by car with bikes on the roof, rather than by body on bike, the slice across the continent is worth a look see.

A few views so far ...

The Murray River...The Riverina region of NSW and the Riverland of South Australia have a distinct feel to them.Broad scale cropping, irrigation, oasis towns such as Mildura and Barmera, giant river red gums and long, long flat stretches of road.The Murray River, especially the lower reaches is also one of a kind for Australian inland rivers. Having flowing water wide enough and deep enough to host river boats is not common for Australian rivers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Picked cotton ... the Hay Plain
Heart 0 Comment 0
The southern Flinders Ranges... near Port Augusta South Australia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Much relieved that the bikes haven't fallen off or been scraped off by a low bridge. Coober Pedy...the human rabbit warren.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A brave recumbent rider on the Stuart Highway. Brave because the next pic was fairly common view through the windscreen on the Stuart Highway. (Edit: Post-ride via the message book on this journal I learned that the recumbent rider was in fact CGOABer Kiwi Mike Avery. He was powering along to Darwin. Read about his ride at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/mikeinoz. He assured me that the road trains were not a problem.)
Heart 1 Comment 0
B triples move at a pace along the Stuart Highway. Focus, focus...I nervously took this snap through the car windscreen while my son was driving.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunrise at Uluru... Just magic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mulga snake having its weekly feed at Desert Park near Alice Springs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thorny Devil ... Desert Park at Alice Springs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Red kangaroo
Heart 0 Comment 0
The speccy McDonnell Ranges near Alice Springs
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Todd River ... easy to wade at Alice Springs
Heart 0 Comment 0
A town like Alice
Heart 0 Comment 0
The headlines today as we approach Darwin...glad I remembered to pack my swimmers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Except for saltwater crocodiles. Saltwater crocodiles will kill you.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Butter wouldn't melt in his mouth. At Crocodylus Park Darwin
Heart 0 Comment 0
The freshwater crocodiles have called a union meeting. At Crocodylus Park Darwin. These are the relatively harmless form of crocodile up this way. Still not one to tangle with.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tortoise
At Crocodylus Park
Heart 0 Comment 0
Captive dingo gives a wry smile. In Darwin at Crocodylus Park
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bird of prey. These are common in the Northern Territory skies
Heart 0 Comment 0
The termite mounds become bigger as we move north toward Darwin
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bike designed to fly into the tour area ...More info below. (Found in the Darwin Military Museum). It is a BSA WWII folder for paratroopers ...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
And the BSA folder in action. Is this an early bike-packer? Or a cycle tourist with traffic deterrent device?(photo at the Darwin Military Museum)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Argyle Dam...about 70 km from Kununurra. Australia's largest artificial lake.Artificial lakes often look less than comfortable in the landscape but this one is impressive. The water submerged large areas of traditional owners' land, but has also generated many new opportunities in the region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way to Argyle Dam
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Kununurra...the area is already looking intriguing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After an almost 5000km road trip, the bikes are at the start of the ride part of this journey... Kununurra. From here it is a 700 km ride on the Gibb River Road to Derby.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0