Forty shades of red: Ellenbrae Station to Gibb River campsite - Crocodile Dreaming - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2013

Forty shades of red: Ellenbrae Station to Gibb River campsite

We had heard a rumour that the road surface had been tweaked by a grader west of 'Ellenbrae Homestead' turnoff and it turned out to be true. Today we were able to go further and faster on the less testing long, red road and the 5th day passed at a good clip. We reached the Gibb River in time a cleansing dip in the luke warm waters.

To reach the Gibb River campsite, it was necessary to cycle a few kilometres along the Kalumburu Road.

As usual, being conscious that crocs were a possibility, these swims were short and in a location with clear, shallow water.

78 km
5 hrs 28 mins of pedalling
Average 14.2 km/hr
Max 55 km/hr

The increases in speed and distance were also because we were getting used to the warm conditions and becoming marginally fitter. Food load kilos were also being whittled away.

The fine views continued throughout the day...

The rust like quality of the sandy soil is a clue to its high mineral content. The tyres by the way are Schwalbe Smart Sams and they were excellent for these conditions, and were surprisingly fast on the sealed sections. The tread pattern provides for smooth, quiet running on seal, but they grip well in the rough.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The grassy woodland rolls on beyond Ellenbrae
Heart 0 Comment 0
The grass is close to head height in places
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were a few short, sharp hills and we gradually climbed to approx 500 metre above sea level.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The long and winding road. Off to the horizon we rode.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wall to wall thin trunked eucalypt woodland
Heart 0 Comment 0
Will and John hit the gas on the faster surface
Heart 0 Comment 0
These short sections of sealed road on jump-ups helped a lot
Heart 0 Comment 0
But this teeth rattling type of surface was still encountered frequently.This was on the Kalumburu Road which we rode/walked along for a few kilometres from its intersection with the Gibb River Road to reach the Gibb River campsite.Interesting that we needed to leave the Gibb River Road to reach the Gibb River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our campsite view on the Gibb River. It was an excellent spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My tent and bike on the bank of the Gibb River. The cycling shirt in the background is airing nicely well away from people and habitation. It also worked as a chemical barrier between our camp and the crocs.:)John and Will seemed to always put their tents further back from the water's edge than me. I'm not sure why.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Late afternoon light on the ghostly bark of the gums on the Gibb River
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 311 km (193 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0