A Sconesational Day: Bush camp near Durack homestead to Ellenbrae Station - Crocodile Dreaming - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2013

A Sconesational Day: Bush camp near Durack homestead to Ellenbrae Station

There could be few things more out of context then a handwritten sign on a star picket on the Gibb River Road saying "Fresh Scones Jam and Cream".

That is however what we gleefully spotted as we approached the turnoff to the delightful Ellenbrae Station toward the end of today's ride.

Day 4 of the ride comprised:

54 kms
4 hrs 19 mins pedalling
Average 12.4 km/hr
Max. 30.8 km/hr

And the eye-catching scenery continued after a sand clogged start. I'll allow a few captioned photos tell the rest of the day's story:

The day began with a brisk, post-breakfast push through deep sand to exit our campsite.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Morning tea stop at a creek crossing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Will and the bikes framed by pandanus near Rollies Jump Up
Heart 0 Comment 0
The grassy woodland scenery continues along the Gibb River Road and changes subtly
Heart 1 Comment 0
The red and yellow hue of the Gibb River Road continues
Heart 2 Comment 0
Approaching the Durack River .... a vehicle heralds its approach with a dust plume in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Durack River crossing
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Durack River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Break time at the Durack River crossing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Water scoured rocks in the Durack River bed and a retired vehicle wheel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This would be a roaringly different scene in the wet season..the Durack River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Incoming! Circling kites and hawks are almost always visible along the Gibb River road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Red roads and corrugations which we are getting accustomed to
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another vehicle which didn't make the distance...
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bit more grandeur from a high point...and a section of graded road is welcome respite from the corrugations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thankfully this was not a practical joke. Acknowledging that this a rugged, expedition-genre cycle-tour I limited myself to only one serve of scones. It's tough out here in the wilderness.Living off the land is getting harder by the kilometre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sign to our campsite for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nothing was going to stop this expedition from reaching those scones and cream. Flooded river, deep sand, corrugations and a 12% hill.The road into Ellenbrae Station is not paved and smooth, but the craving for scones was strong.It is about a 5 km side-trip to stay at Ellenbrae and worth every kilometre. It is a very pleasant stopping place and well worth a visit.We were fairly sure that only freshwater crocs lived in creeks this size.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ellenbrae Station road entry
Heart 1 Comment 0
The camp kitchen at Ellenbrae Station...solid as a rock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A classic 'donkey' wood water heater at Ellenbrae Station campground. Yes...rustic, hot showers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Boab tree also known as bottle trees fitted with a working water tap.Yes ... they do store water in spongy wood. No it is not possible to tap water from these trees.The tree grew around the tap over a thirty year period.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Feathered company on the verandah at Ellenbrae Station cafe while we demolish fresh scones, cream and jam.'Ellenbrae' cafe also made excellent toasted sandwiches.('Station' in Australia is the equivalent of a ranch in north America. A station is a large grazing property. The word was used in this context well before it was used to name railway stopping places)
Heart 0 Comment 0
The story of Ellenbrae and how it came to be an attractive campsite.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of only two times I used the batwing tarp on the ride. Rain looked likely. The previous night there'd been enough to need to throw the tarp over the tent. A luxury having a bike-port.The tarp was one piece of gear which was surplus to needs on this ride. There was ample shade along the route. If I were to do this ride again, I'd bring the fly for the tent, and not bring this larger tarp.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Pandanus at Ellenbrae
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 233 km (145 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0