Osoyoos - Swan Song for the Jetta - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2018

Osoyoos

Too hot!

We got a reasonably early start today on a pretty easy ride - 43 miles, no significant climbs - and were in Osoyoos a bit after one, the earliest arrival so far.  Not early enough though - it was about 70 when we left Penticton, and 95 when we reached Osoyoos.  It was probably the prettiest ride of the trip too, with west of the day spent on quiet, very scenic roads.  But too hot.

We spent the afternoon holed up in our motel, and then ventured out for a very nice dinner in the early evening.  We took our time there, giving the day more time to cool off before our walk back to the motel, but it was still hot.

It’s supposed to be cooler tomorrow, but our ride to Princeton will be much longer (73 miles), and we’re a bit worried about it.  On the way back from the restaurant we stopped at the supermarket and picked up breakfast items, with the plan of waking up at 5,eating in the room, and hitting the road by six.

And, the air conditioning in our room isn’t that great, so it’s too hot to think of much to say.  Maybe tomorrow.

This is the channel pathway, following the short channel that drains Okanagan Lake into Skaha Lake. Much better than biking the other side of the channel, on the shoulder of Highway 97.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking north along the channel to Okanagan Lake. Looks like a scene along the Loire.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The north shore of Skaha Lake. It’s only about 9,but already it feels too hot.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There are two paved routes from Penticton to Osoyoos - along Highway 97 the whole way, or down th east side of Skaha Lake. Not a tough choice.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Skaha Bluffs, lining the east shore of Skaha Lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looks like my kind of church. We don’t have horns on our bike, so I gave them a shout.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jen RahnBrilliant sign! Glad you were able to get a photo.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
I’m not sure what was happening with me today, but I really didn’t feel that well -maybe a bit nauseous. I sat in the shade for a bit before continuing on.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekYikes! The heat can be nasty.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
There was some sort of event, or an elite club ride. A number of bikes whizzed by, all flying.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dropping to Okanagan Falls on McLean Creek Road. For most of the rest of the day we’ll be biking past vineyards.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Vaseaux Lake, the next lake south from Skaha Lake
Heart 6 Comment 2
Ron SuchanekHoly crap that's amazing
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekHoly crap that's amazing
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
I love this view down Vaseaux Lake toward its south end. The cliffs at that gap remind me of the landscape around Salzburg.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The cattle guards here are really treacherous - wide spaced, rounded. Death traps. And, as Bill points out, there’s poison ivy to contend with too if you fall in. Best to walk, carefully.
Heart 3 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltNice poison ivy crop!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jacquie GaudetI hate those things! Always need to stop and walk across them (and I'm always on my road bike, with road-cleat shoes, in the Okanagan). Some people bunny-hop them but not me.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltI didn’t even look at that - I was just trying to not slip into the gaps. Thanks for the warning though - I’ll keep an eye out.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetI’m with you. After spilling on one in Utah last year I’m a real chicken. These were really awful though - wide gaps, round bars.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The cattle guards re scary, but at least they come with fair warning.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Along Black Sage Road, another attractive alternative to 97.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The wooden truss bridge at the south end of Black Sage Road, just before merging back onto 97.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking acros Osoyoos Lake, on our way back to our room after dinner. It’s finally cooled down enough to enjoy sitting for a few minutes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Osoyoos Lake
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats: today, 43 miles, 1,600’

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 253 miles (407 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Ron SuchanekGreat photos. I've never seen cattle guards like those. They look treacherous.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago