To Train or Not to Train? - Country Roads - CycleBlaze

April 18, 2024

To Train or Not to Train?

The Final Stage

Boonah to Brisbane CBD

Dedicated readers with a sharp eye for detail, will recall our plan to reach Brisbane City was to ride a scenic rural 50km from Boonah to Ipswich, then energetically leap onto a suburban train with our bikes and go clicketty-click to the city centre.

Half of that plan didn’t happen. 

We were up before sunrise (thanks to that highly dedicated street-sweeping truck driver and his mates with the supercharged leaf blowers) and riding early through a misty Boonah. The road was reasonably quiet until the outskirts of Ipswich where the traffic gradually turned metropolitan. Despite some decent climbs, we made good time and were in downtown Ipswich by 11am. 

I’d arranged for us to have lunch in Ipswich with a former work colleague, Philippa, at 12 noon, so we had an hour to ponder route options and to visit the local bike shop. The roadie staff in the shop  convinced us that there was a triffic traffic free path & backstreet route to cycle to Brisbane from Ipswich. 

So we ditched the suburban train ride plan, and began pedalling enthusiastically toward Brisbane CBD (about 40 km away) after lunch.

Not surprisingly, the route description we had, didn’t quite match the real world and soon we were staring at Google Maps and devising an ad hoc route which was a mix of path and adrenaline inducing roads. 

I’ll spare you the details. Suffice to say we eventually pedalled into to Southbank Brisbane exhausted, stressed, slightly exhilarated, but uninjured. Nevertheless I’d recommend other tourers to catch the suburban train. Not do what we did. 

After an energy top up of hot chips at a pub, we found accommodation and headed there to recover. Joel’s wife is arriving tomorrow so they can spend an extra week in Brisbane. 

I’ll be departing by plane on Sunday. So I lobbed into a backpackers hostel in Upper Roma St, whereas Joel has found a hotel with a few extra luxuries. 

So the Country Roads ride is finished.
Well it’s finished unofficially. But tomorrow at 12:30, we are having an informal, official finish hosted by the Australian Rural Leadership Foundation (ARLF). There will a few more kms to ride to/from the gathering site on Southbank.

This ride has also been a fundraising ride for scholarships to enable people to participate in ARLF leadership development programs. About 80% of the goal has been achieved so far. 

Fingers crossed more donations will come in over the next few days.

The Canberra to Brisbane ride in 18 days has been a wonderful experience. Testing for sure, but very enjoyable. Seeing family and friends in my hometowns was a highlight.

This is the second long ride I’ve done with Joel and I couldn’t hope for a better friend and riding colleague. He’s been good humoured, and very sociable with the numerous relatives and friends I’ve introduced him to along the way. 

And he’s been more than patient with the fundraising aspect of the ride. He’s been very proactive and successful at obtaining support and donations. 

Thanks Joel.

Ride Stats:

1 flat tyre

0 dog chases

16 ride days and 2 rest days

1 night camping

0 chicken schnitzels eaten

2 TV interviews 

0 mechanical problems

2 state borders crossed 

1345 km ridden

1 wet day

5 crossings of main ranges, including 3 of the Great Dividing Range

15 relatives and friends visited 

Joel’s bike in storage at The Australian Hotel Boonah was in good company
Heart 2 Comment 0
This beautiful little bird decided to perch on my front wheel just before we departed Boonah
Heart 4 Comment 0
Downtown Ipswich we enjoyed being taken to lunch Philippa, a former work colleague who has been very supportive with the fundraising part of this ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of many signs we tried to rely on between Ipswich and Brisbane CBD
Heart 1 Comment 0
More of those signs
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the better sections of path. It ended and put us into traffic in a light industrial area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another sign
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back onto a path. It also ended in traffic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Phew! The End. Soda water, ice and hot chips.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Southbank scene on the way to the accommodation
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 108 km (67 miles)
Total: 1,345 km (835 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Mike AylingThanks for another great journal, Graham.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Graham SmithThanks for following the ride Mike. It’s been fun.

I’ll do one more journal entry after the official finished gathering today. It’s the first time I’ve ever had a Welcome Committee at the end of a ride.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago