Flying Home - Country Roads - CycleBlaze

April 21, 2024

Flying Home

Canberra to Brisbane

Minor Panic! 

That sinking feeling when you step enthusiastically outside the accommodation with your bike-in-a box ready to fly home to discover the city is thoroughly shut down in preparation for a mass running event. 

Police, barricades and hi-viz traffic control as far as the eye can see. Uber driver Michael cancels. Cab1300 can’t get through. A traffic guy says the streets are shut for at least two hours.

Then that feeling of elation when Eritrean-Australian Uber driver Yared says he likes a challenge 45 minutes later he cheerfully bobs and weaves his hybrid Toyota to the kerb. 

20 minutes later he has me and the packed bike at the airport.
What a champ! 
Yared so deserved the sizeable cash tip I gave him.

The rest of the day was uneventful and I was home by early afternoon.

Packed & ready to fly
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small world! Not only were these acquaintances, Julie and Michael, on the same plane, they were in adjacent seats. They were flying from Canada to Canberra.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rugged ranges northern NSW. We’d cycled slightly west of these,
Heart 1 Comment 0
Massive open cut coal mines in the Hunter Valley. Prime agricultural land lost forever.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Weereewaa aka Lake George. A lake which appears and disappears.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There’s home! Canberra.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Googong Dam
Heart 0 Comment 0
Googong Dam
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0