In L'Ile Rousse - Lavender Fields, Forever - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2003

In L'Ile Rousse

Balagne village loop

After enjoying breakfast in the hotel's garden by the sea, we set out on a long inland loop, touring through some of the many villages of Balagne.  We started with a stiff, hot climb up the ridge behind l'Ile Rousse to Santa Reparata, elevation 900'.  The five mile climb in 80 degree midmorning heat wore us both down and left us feeling weak.  The rest of the ride after this was easier though, as we passed through a string of villages: Sant' Antonino, Avapessa, Feliceto, Speloncato, and several smaller ones in between. 

Antonio is remarkable, rising on its conical hilltop, a bit reminiscent of Gordes from the distance.  We thought Speloncato was the finest of all, with its honeycomb of lanes climbing up and tunneling through its hilltop, each corner leading to a wonderful new view.

For breaks we had fruit, cheese, and water at Sant' Antonino, and a similar picnic at the center of Speluncato.  From Speluncato, we finished off the day's ride with a steady drop to the valley floor and then one final climb over the ridge at Monticello; and then on to our hotel, to the beach, and to a pizzeria by the shore.

Monticello
Heart 2 Comment 0
L'Ile Rousse from Monticello
Heart 1 Comment 0
Monticello from Santa Reparata
Heart 1 Comment 0
Avapessa
Heart 1 Comment 0
Feliceto
Heart 2 Comment 0
Feliceto
Heart 2 Comment 0
Speloncato
Heart 1 Comment 0
Speloncato
Heart 2 Comment 0
Speloncato
Heart 1 Comment 0
Speloncato
Heart 1 Comment 0
Speloncato
Heart 1 Comment 0
Montemaggiore
Heart 1 Comment 0
Montemaggiore
Heart 2 Comment 0
Montemaggiore
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sant' Antonino
Heart 1 Comment 0
L'Ile Rousse from Sant' Antonino
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Total elevation gain: for the day, 3,250'.  For the tour, 15,060'.

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 204 miles (328 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0