Calvi - Lavender Fields, Forever - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2003

Calvi

Today we followed another inland route, beginning with the long climb to Sant'Antonino, approaching it from the west side. I wanted to visit it again as long as we were nearby, and in the meantime I made a breakthrough in my understanding of how to get the most out of my new digital camera.  For the remainder of the tour, the quality of my photos steadily improved as I incorporated new tools into my usage.

In Calvi by mid-afternoon, we headed once more to the beach, enjoying a wonderfully refreshing swim in the calm waters east of the town.  

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Afterwards we took a tour of the citadel, and then returned for supper at an outdoor restaurant in the central square.  It was a fine meal, enhanced by a street musician's act highlighted by a keynote number with four hands on one guitar.

Heart 2 Comment 0
The Citadel, from our hotel room
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dinner in Calvi. Rachael's in this photo, left of center, second table from the stage.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsMy brother told me of a Canadian Brass performance he attended. Among other numbers, they did Flight of the Bumblebee with the tuba player as the featured soloist. At one point the lead trumpeter strolled across the stage and took over the fingerwork on the instrument's valves, to the great amusement of the audience.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

(Note: this is the final entry of the initial journal, save for a short spell in Provence at the end of the tour.  In the meantime, narrative reflects what Rachael and I recall and what we can glean from our photographs.)

Heart 0 Comment 0

Total elevation gain: for the day, 2,950'.  For the tour, 18,010'.

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 237 miles (381 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jeremy PerksNearly 1000m of climbing a day is a lot!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago