Direction #6: Maintain Ties at Home - From the Compound to the World - CycleBlaze

Direction #6: Maintain Ties at Home

Many 'lifer' expats I talk to say they don't bother keeping up with stuff in their home country, so they let their drivers license expire and so forth.  I can sort of understand that  but it's not so simple.  I hope we learned something from covid and that this kind of global nomadic lifestyle suffers the very real risk of a forced repatriation.  If we've burned our bridges and don't have an emergency plan then then we're in real trouble when that happens.  Better to at least prepare for the possibility that a forced repatriation might happen and then hope it never does. 

To do that, the first thing is keeping up with what you can manage abroad.  This would mean for example paying off all the credit card bills on time, having mail forwarded (if possible), and also keeping a SIM card going back home.  That could be managed by paying the pre-paid monthly fee every 2-3 months or so just to keep the number.  Regardless you'll want to keep active tabs on all the ongoing accounts etc.. you have back home and when to maintain them so they don't expire.  You'll also want to keep up contacts with people back home.  Hopefully they aren't haters (see last entry) but if they're important people it's better that you don't lose touch with them.

The second thing is that it'll have to mean periodic trips back home.  What I learned from this trip is you'll need to keep those very short.  Like we're talking a week or two at most, where you get done what you need to with laser-focused efficiency.  The West is not like Pattaya where you can lollygag for months with no plan.  So, make a very clear plan what you need to do, and then get in and out.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0