Day L22: Suicide in the Compound - From the Compound to the World - CycleBlaze

Day L22: Suicide in the Compound

Just when you thought that things couldn't get any worse, they did.  The building right beside ours had one case after another and it was unclear what was causing all this.  In response, the compound manager sealed off the entire row of buildings including ours.

After the initial BANG BANG BANG on the door for the covid test, I took a nap and then another BANG BANG BANG woke me up.  The hazmat suit guy basically told us the news of what happened and warned us.  "Don't go out.  You're only allowed out once a day to take trash to the bin next to your door, and deliveries will be sent to you.  If we see you going out more than once we will seal the outside door."  Meanwhile there were green fences about to go up to accomplish this.

They had released the entire compound except for our section of buildings because the curmudgeons who live in other buildings had been complaining.  They said something along the lines of, "Why is the whole compound locked down when all the covid cases are coming from only one line of buildings?"  This led to a 'deal' where they blocked us off then let the others walk around.  But as my wife correctly pointed out, this only made the situation worse since the people beside us have been testing positive so we are even more at risk.  It was a good thing we did a massive food order before all this

Sleep was pretty much impossible that night.  In the morning, a loud wailing sound outside started up and a huge commotion that went on for hours.  Dozens of people in white hazmat suits including the police were milling around and talking.  It was hard to figure out the situation, but a neighbor nearby found out that somebody had died in block #34 right beside ours.  They didn't die from covid nor a missed medical appointment.  Maybe it was a suicide, but whatever it was, the surviving wife was howling and wailing and she continues as I type this.

Update:  confirmed, it was a suicide.  The elderly father jumped off the roof and the police have been doing an investigation outside our compound all morning.  The plot thickens.  Thanks to the amazing investigation skills of my wife, we pieced together all the details from various chat groups and neighbors.  

What happened is the son of this father had been a positive case and a hidden carrier all along.  He was holed up in building #34 spreading covid.  All this time we did 20+ covid tests he basically never left the building.  The son was forced out when the police investigated the suicide.  At that time, they gave the son an antigen test and found a positive result.  Then the entire building #34 was evacuated and sent to quarantine camp.

This is only speculation, but perhaps the father also had covid and told the son they would both not leave the house and do PCR tests in the compound.  Whatever the motive for the suicide was we have no idea.  Perhaps he was just tired of all this fuckery and realized that life wasn't worth living in lockdowns.  The police finished off the investigation and the car took away the body.  As this happened, the surviving wife let out one last bloodcurling wail.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Andrea BrownThis is so nightmarish.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonI’m so sorry, Steve. We think of you every day.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago