A Little Rain Can't Hurt - Coast2Coast - CycleBlaze

November 18, 2021

A Little Rain Can't Hurt

Today Laura and I began the day at the Lake Monroe Wayside and headed over the St. John River, a short distance to Lake Monroe Park.  As we left the Wayside the trail marker indicated we were on the final couple of miles of the Cross Seminole Trail...go figure.  We were able to catch some nice views of Lake Monroe.  At Lake Monroe Park we jumped on the Spring to Spring trail.  Not 1.5 miles into the trail we ran into a trail closure.  Back to the car and, thankfully, onto a nearby trailhead.

Our next stops along this 6.5 mile section of the C2C were at Gemini Springs Park and Green Springs Park.  Obvious how this trail got its name!

Gemini Springs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nice section of boardwalk connecting to two parks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Green Springs
Heart 2 Comment 0

Green Springs marked the transition to the East Central Regional Rail Trail (aka East Central Greenway).  This also marked to turnaround point for Laura.  She headed back to the car and would meet me at the Maytown Spur Trailhead about 28 miles down the trail.  We would regroup at Vergie's, a rest stop near the trailhead that provides cold drinks and snacks on a donation only basis.  Following Vergie's, the goal was to complete an additional 16 miles into Titusville, then 13 miles crossing the Max Brewer Bridge, thus completing the C2C at Canaveral National Seashore.

The forecast indicated rain beginning at 8:00 PM.  Plenty of time as long as I could get across the bridge.  Due to heavy traffic related to the Kennedy Space Center, no bike traffic was allowed through the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge between 6-9 AM and 3-6 PM.

As we were finishing our break at Vergie's, I could hear a bit of thunder.  I headed out with the hope of getting to the seashore.  I know you have a sense of how this ended.  About a mile into this segment, it began to rain lightly, then a bit harder and then a downpour.  Before heading out Laura and I agreed we would touch base at the Aurentia Road Trailhead 7.2 miles down trail.  Anyone who has had ridden in the rain knows that after 10 minutes you have gotten as wet as you can possibly get...and so was my case.  With pouring rain and the prospect I would not get across the Max Brewer Bridge in time, I called it quits for the day.  

There was always tomorrow to finish 22 miles.

Aurentia Road Trailhead under the RT 95 overpass. Glad to have a dry vest but the soggy bike shorts would have to wait.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 242 miles (389 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0