Day 40: Ness City to Scott City - CircumTrektion: TransAm 2006 - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2006

Day 40: Ness City to Scott City

Wow. Not much to report for today. After yesterday's heat and wind, I was hoping for a better day. The best strategy probably would have been to get up really early and ride, but I was short on sleep and went back to bed.

There's so few roads out here, they just called this one "A Road"
Heart 2 Comment 0

I ate a good breakfast and was about the last one out of camp. Alvin caught up a few miles outside of Dighton, our only service stop for the day, and rode with me for a while. I ride faster with someone quick like him, and good conversation made the miles go by that much more quickly. A bunch of the group was still in Dighton when we got there, eating and trying to get cold fluids. Robert had ice cream for his second breakfast there, but I think everybody had a pretty good day of riding. And everyone is glad to be in fairly early today given the heat. Time for a shower! There are no showers at the city park, so with the 104 degree heat, I'm in a cheap motel tonight.

Scott City has Pepsi! It may be 103 degrees, but I'm saved!
Heart 1 Comment 0
100 degrees in the shade. And no showers at the city park. Definitely a hotel night.
Heart 1 Comment 0
102 at 7 p.m. Wow.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I guess the group had some adventures of their own with the hotel they'd made reservations at. Something about stuck doors, almost breaking in a door frame, shoving a hotel clerk through a window to try to open a door from the inside, and such. Sounded like an adventure to me! The only problem I had at my hotel was an air conditioning system that was working overtime to keep up. Leaving the hotel room wasn't very tempting, though, so I just went out for evening snacks and laid down at about 7:30 for a pre-bedtime nap. Oh the excitement of bicycle touring!

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 2,090 miles (3,364 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0