Day 28: Rostock to Butzow - Grampies Go in Circles Summer 2013 - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2013

Day 28: Rostock to Butzow

Thomas and Karin led the way from the camping west to a little ferry across the harbour mouth (to Warnemunde) and then on south to Rostock proper. This little southerly leg is actually about 15-20 km, of very undistinguished city scape. Still, we these expert guides we didn't have to think about the routing, which was really great.

Just before hitting the city centre, we stopped at a post office. Here Dodie could mail home 2 kg of maps and paper junque that I had collected and made her carry! With the bag now empty, I am all set to go again!

One of my first things was a pamplet about the city's former gates and fortifications, picked up as we stopped at one of those gates - the Kropelin Gate, which dates from the 13th century. This is one of 12 gates and walls still visible around this once fortified city. From the Kropelin, a pedestrian street lined with beautiful buildings, filled with retail shops, restaurants, and bakeries, led to the rathaus square. It's the usual pattern, but the one we love to explore.

In the rathaus square were a number of food vendors. From a fruit stall, for 2 euros we got a large fruit salad, with peaches, grapes, watermelon, apple, melon, and red currants. This was really super, and we ate it later in a quiet and shady cemetary.

For right away, there was a man with Pomeranian smoked sausage, complete with smoke pouring out of his stall apparatus. It came on a bun (high quality, naturally), with German mustard. Really super!

Rostock harbour, from the ferry to Warnemunde
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of several large cruise ships.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This gefahr is puzzling. It was on a barrier that looked electrified, over a train track with electric overhead power. Is the plan to electrocute me if I try to jump? Or are they saying if I do jump I will die not from impact but from the electric lines below?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This kid, like Violet, has cycling style.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie and thomas were ahead, dicussing the complete political party arrangement of Canada and Germany. I waitd to butt in, and said "We should stop, my derailleur is broken". As it happens, a bolt had fallen out of the rear rack, leaving the strut to drag on the cassette. Fortunately we carried the right replacement bolt, here being installed by Thomas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This dog carries a seriously big stick.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gefahr of the day: Basically, trespassers will be shot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Undistingushed urban landscape north of Rostock
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thomas helps Dodie arrange the mailback at the post office.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The green party installs a sunflower on Dodie's bike
Heart 0 Comment 0
Green Party election promo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The main gate at Rostock
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rostock manhole cover. Note the reference to the Hanseatic league.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rostock market street
Heart 0 Comment 0
"There is no place for Nazis in Rostock" = mixed feelings. Good that someone put up the poster, bad that they felt they had to.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An accordion player, reminds us of Dodie's dad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Pomeranian smoked sausage man
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eating wurst in Rostock main square
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rathaus is undder renovation
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thomas and Karin make sure we are on the right path, before the kiss and cry
Heart 0 Comment 0

Thomas and Karin then dropped us almost directly on the Berlin-Copenhagen radweg. There was a real kiss and cry, as we will really miss these new found friends. To find such wonderful people just sitting in a cyclists' shelter was really lucky. We hope to stay in contact for a long time.2

From Rostock on the radweg, the little towns just clicked by. The signage was perfect, as we introduced ourselves to the German section sign logo. The Bikeline map showed a camping in Butzow, but the Leparello did not. As we entered the town, the camping did not pop up where expected. However a nice church and building scene did appear, and I pulled out the camera, as usual while still cycling. Looking through the camera, I sailed past little a "wasserwanderer" camping sign. But Dodie caught it! It turned out to be a canoe club - our favourite, because thhey tend to have lots of available facilities at reasonable cost. So it was here, for 12 euros including immaculate showers, and covered tables.

So here we are, happy as clams, and well on our way to Berlin!

The signage is great. Look carefully for the Berlin-Copenhagen radweg logo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is Angela Merkel in support of the local candidate. I am now sucha Rostock expert, I even recognize where the photo was shot!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fancy house in Rostock
Heart 0 Comment 0
This shows many wasserwanderrastplatz's. This reinforces Karyn's guess that this is an area likely frequented by Dodie's dad, a paddler, in the 1930's.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Berlin-Copenhagen route not only had great signage, but maps like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We meet lots of strange traffic on the road, but how about this?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Schwaan - the capital of this region
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Schwaan
Heart 0 Comment 0
After leaving Rostock, our road often looked like this
Heart 0 Comment 0
The scene that distracted me, while looking for the camping
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sign for the camping. Dodie, always focussed, spotted it. She takes the credit for finding this wonderful spot!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 2,032 km (1,262 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0