Day 29: Butzow to a deep forest near Loppin - Grampies Go in Circles Summer 2013 - CycleBlaze

August 16, 2013

Day 29: Butzow to a deep forest near Loppin

Around seven we left the canoe club and cruised into Butzow. The town was already awake, and was doing all the classical things an active small town should do. Neighbours were greeting each other in the street, kids were getting ready to go to school. It was garbage day, and streets were blocked with garbage trucks. There was even a small traffic jam in the market square, and on another street that had construction going on. A farmer was adding to the mix with his tractor and giant trailer.

In the market square we bought some mohn kuchen from the "market square" bakery. Across the street was the "city bakery", and down the way, yet another one. In the square some stalls were already up - fruits, wurst, etc. We bought cherries!

Dawn at the canoe club
Heart 0 Comment 0
Traffic jam at 7:30 in markt square
Heart 0 Comment 0
We bought cherries
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pickle man
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mohn strudel
Heart 0 Comment 0
gotta make these at home!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Outside of town we hopped on to the Butzow-Gutzrow canal, and of course headed to Gutzrow. There are a number off small rivers and canals here, and it seems like just the area where Dodie's dad, Walter, would have come with his fold boat. One of our main reasons for coming to the Berlin region is to look at the places where Walter spent his early years. He often mentioned fold boating (and cycling), so things are taking added significance for us as we pass into this region.

Gutzrow features not only a central square, but also a post office (good for postcards home) and a chocolate shop. I dropped about a euro each for some little chocolates there - good quality, though. There is also a schloss, with a large moat, and in the moat - swans. We watched a group of old folks, sheparded by young (er) attendants, who had come to look at the swans. Two of the old folks were clearly a couple, and it was touching to watch them together.

Maybe the type of waterway Walter paddled on
Heart 0 Comment 0
The path by thhe canal to Gustrow
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gustrow
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gustrow market square
Heart 0 Comment 0
About $1.50 each, but good
Heart 0 Comment 0
The schloss in Gustrow
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old folks look at the swans
Heart 0 Comment 0
The schloss
Heart 0 Comment 0
The swan
Heart 0 Comment 0

Around mid afterrnoon Dodie started to lose strength. Despite taking a cookie, she finally came to a stop and said "I'm done. and I don't even have the strength to get off my bike" Always helpful, I said "Well, you could just rest in place, leaning on your bike". Actually I also suggested a nearby hotel, either to book in or for some eis. Eis (ice cream) here is normally an elaborate concoction of many flavours, whipped cream, and sauces. But Dodie refused, and after leaning on her bike for a while, soldiered on.

When we got to the resort town of Krakow, we found a "fishing festival" of sorts going on. There were lots of food and knick knack vendors around, and a crowd watching people draw fishing nets into a boat. It may have been a contest, and someone on a loudspeaker droned on and on about it. The people pulled and pulled slowly on the nets, for a long long time.

Meanwhile we found a place with eis, and Dodie graciously accepted a big one, Then once out of town, she pointed to the maps and said "We can take this road, cut through that forest, follow this track (etc)" .. and come to a camping in about 30 km. And then - off she charged. Ice cream is a wonderful food!

We actually stopped about 3 km short, while still in the forest, because we came to a fairly secluded covered table. Grampies love covered tables. So we put the tent behind it, heated ourr soup, and dined seated like real nobility (or at least, not squatting in the grass).

It's quiet here too, ideal for a long and restful sleep.

No internet in the forest, but here are the photos - quickly uploaded next day - captions are coming!

Look Avi and violet, a play boat
Heart 0 Comment 0
show off! Two bales of wheat straw at once.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bonk or not, Dodie was not going to a hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So we carried on across fields like this
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Krakow am see, many festival vendors, like this one with balloons
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fish net pulling contest, or whatever
Heart 0 Comment 0
The autobahn to Berlin. Even the Grampies are not going on this one. Even so, we will be in Berlin soon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Grampies instead go on this rough forest road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Warning, active logging area. Do we risk having a log fall on our heads?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our wonderful, quiet, table in the forest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0