Denmark in Retrospect - Grampies Go in Circles Summer 2013 - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2013

Denmark in Retrospect

Looked at in isolation, that is, with out specifically comparing to any other place or country, Denmark is a great place to visit. It has quaint buildings, unique churches, lots of quiet bikeways, a network of national bike routes, no shortage of groceries and supplies, people who almost all speak English and almost all can be a source of friendly advice or discussion, some spectacular scenery, no overpopulation, and the stunning city of Copenhagen. Scads of German tourists come to Denmark, presumably for its more open spaces and more rustic feel. And the Berlin-Copenhagen radweg is highly popular.

So those are the formidable positive aspects of Denmark. Yet, we accululated a list of less positive aspects, that add up to Denmark not being top of the list for a return visit. Here they are:

Relative lack of dedicated cycle paths. Easy to end up in traffic, usually with a narrow shoulder and corrugated white line.
Relative lack of spectacular scenery, churches, and towns.
High prices at campgrounds.
Hard to find cycling maps and other maps
Lack of selection at grocery stores, though prices are not significantly too high.
Stinky cheese
Oily pastry

These relatives are relative to what? Well, to Germany and Austria, and the part of France we mainly know - the Loire. Denmark (and likely the rest of Scandinavia) are fine, but with only so many trips left in our tank, we would hold out for the Mosel, the Black Forest, Venice and northern Italy, and southern France.

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,908 km (1,185 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0