Day 59, to DENVER: Sorry, other states, but Colorado wins - Chris Cross America - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2022

Day 59, to DENVER: Sorry, other states, but Colorado wins

Monday stats

STAGE 2 COMPLETE — DENVER REACHED!

Start: Joe and Catherine's house in Fort Collins, Colo.

End: Jenna, Chris, Noah and Brooke's house in Denver

The Daily Progress: 65.77 miles

The Ascension: 2,067 feet

Elevation at endpoint: ~5,280 feet

Ice cream flavors: N/A, but there was something even better than ice cream — homemade chocolate chip cookies!

Lodging expenses: $0

Food expenses: $7 (a Gatorade and a gas station burrito)

Monday highlights

I reached Denver!

The ride was so smooth and easy today. I think I had a tailwind for part of the ride. But the big factor was the amazing cycling infrastructure. I was in a bike lane or on a bike path pretty much all day. The bike paths are amazing. There is a path from Boulder to Denver. It is concrete and designed for cycling. I don't know that I've ever been on a concrete, intercity bike path like this before. It was amazing. I was most impressed by the U.S. 34 Bike Route.

I passed amazing views of the Rockies, prairie dogs chirping feverishly, and a man, on cross-country skiing skates, skating up the path from Denver to Boulder. Colorado is such a mystical place.

I made it to Jenna and Chris's house and got to meet my niece, Brooke! I got to spend the evening with them and Noah and my parents.

Oof, I'm more tired than I thought. Photos and more details coming soon.

Today's ride: 66 miles (106 km)
Total: 2,383 miles (3,835 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0