The Lake District - North from Casablanca - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2012

The Lake District

Heading north to Ambleside

After our ride around Derbyshire, we spend a few days in Lincoln doing little. 

The plan now is to tour with Dave in the northwest of England.

The Lakes - a fantastic location that I’ve only ever been to just once, when Debbie and I got married 10 years ago. We drove through the area on our way back south from Scotland and didn’t really see much. That’s car travel for you.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Dave's chauffeuring us all up there this time, something like a four-hour drive from Lincoln. Our panniers get stuffed in the back of his car along with Debbie’s borrowed bike, while Dave’s Thorn Raven and my Nomad hang from the back, on one of those wobbly racks that seem likely to fall off. 

The forecast isn’t brilliant, but we're willing to give it a go and just hope for the best.

We don’t stop in the small town of Windermere for very long because as we'd anticipated, it's a busy tourist place. The road heading due north is narrow and busy – not good for cycling - and we keep driving to get to the Youth Hostel in Ambleside, not a million miles away.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0