DAY 2 - Details by Dan - Canadian "Heavy Rescue" Solo Tour 2021 - "Detoured Again" - CycleBlaze

DAY 2 - Details by Dan

The following was again done by Dan. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on my Journal.  

Dan thank you for your positive attitude and fun conversation.
Heart 3 Comment 0

I'm going to miss Dan.  He was a great partner to ride with.  He was very safe.  That means a lot.  I know riding on roads like this are not his favorite, but he never complained.  

Buddy, so fun having along!  

Now, here is Dan. (Note I  Added a couple comments, orry)

Day 2 was a beauty. Departed camp at 9:15 after a nice cup of coffee and a honey stinger waffle. Let’s were ready to sail again and the Warbird (Dan's Bike) was primed for the road. 

Mile 5: pulled off the main drag to a scenic road along the water. Shot some video footage and photos of a riding. Took our time to get it right and it was worth it. Beautiful bay with sail boats and birds. Listened to “into the wild” soundtrack by Eddie Vedder. Just seemed right. 

A Moment Captured along the scenic detour off of hwy 20
Heart 1 Comment 0

Mile 10: found a Starbucks in town and popped in for a bite, coffee, and most important internet and electric power. I ran to the book store to look for a book (2 miles). Unsuccessful but snuck in the run. 

Mile 25: Deception Pass Park. Road 5 miles thru some up and downs (steep). Arrived at north beach. Sign on a trail  said “bridge” .2. I went for a run to scout it out. Then saw another sign that said “Summit- .6”. Decided to go for it. Not a great view but a fun run both up and down. 

View from Deception Pass Bridge
Heart 3 Comment 2
brandon spanglerhey deception pass! that's a song i used to listen to. https://dplus.bandcamp.com/track/deception-pass
i met those guys!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Wendy WillisTo brandon spanglerVery nice photo!
Very cool that Brandon knew that area.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

While running down, I had the idea to walk our bikes up to the bridge. While it was steep, it was only .2 miles. The alternative was 5 miles of steep rollers. Dad reluctantly agreed but only because he really didn’t want to go the road way. Pushed the bikes up and got help from a stranger named Lola. She was very nice. Took the bags off to get up the last portion. Fun adventure. 

After push and tugging the bike up the steep trail, we had to walk the over a narrow walk way. There was no way we could safely ride them over the bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Keith Here - I was scared about crossing the bridge.  It was a big way down.  It was beautiful though! 

Walked across the bridge and that was an adventure too. Small walk way. Big trucks flying by. Eventually got on the road where there was minimal shoulder and still very big trucks. I’m talking dump trucks towing dump trucks. Yes- two  dump trucks tethered together. Whoever invented that- I’m not a fan.

Keith Here - overall motorists have been great.  We only can mention a few heavy duty pickups that came to close.   No reason either, I guess to scare us. Everyone else has been nice to share the sometimes limited space.

Mile 35: after cheating death, there was a ice cream parlor. I said WE ARE STOPPING. Funny how after being rattled by large trucks at close range you just want to eat something that makes you feel alive. Massive scoops.  

2 Scoops Really
Heart 2 Comment 0
2 Scoops & Waffle Cone
Heart 3 Comment 1
Tamora StumLooks cool and yummy you two!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Mile 45: crossed highway 20 with ease. Minor detour to get on the bike path. Road under the bridge to see the bike path on the other side. 🤦. Ohh well overall smooth sailing. 

Bike 19 Rte was a dream around "most" of busy 20 East
Heart 2 Comment 0

Keith Here - It was amazing after leaving Whidbey Island how the terrain flattened out and farms and fields of corn appeared.  It was so cool; looked like home.  Even saw cows - maybe Hershey cows.  

Great image right
Heart 3 Comment 1
Dan moving out toward Larrabee
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heavy Wrecker Operator in action
Heart 2 Comment 0

Mile 50: stopped for a fancy meal. Only spot for dinner. Good food. Dad got scallops. I got fish and chips. Waiter was nice and impressed with our journey. Talked with us till things got busy. Scooted out of there just in time. 

Mile 55: arrived at walk in spot #3 in time for the sunset down by the water. Another great day to remember. Lots of good challenges and trying times that we navigated as a team. 

Sunset at Larrabee State Park
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Creative Look
Heart 0 Comment 0
Glow on the Foliage along the Cliffs
Heart 0 Comment 0

Wish I more time to continue the trip but I’ll be headed south on the train from Bellingham tomorrow. I’m happy to have had the chance to click off miles on the Heavy Rescue tour and I’m excited to join the cheering and support squad.

Enjoying the night by the warm flame of the solo stove. Chat later
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Tamora StumSuch a nice time together!! Stay away from those trucks and be safe. Love T
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
brandon spanglervery cool guys
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Daniel SpanglerTo brandon spanglerThanks, Brandon!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago