DAY 19 - Aberdeen to Westport & Grayland State Park - Canadian "Heavy Rescue" Solo Tour 2021 - "Detoured Again" - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2021

DAY 19 - Aberdeen to Westport & Grayland State Park

Meeting son Dan and his adventure dog Mr. B

Day 19 started with a late wake up.  The weather was cool, misty and cloud covered; a good day to hug a mug of hot coffee and do some planning.

But, that was all done last night while watch the movie Zero Dark 30.  The route was simple cross the bridge and take 105 south to the water or Westport and the Grayland State Park.

Aberdeen to Westport
Heart 1 Comment 0
Westport to Grayland
Heart 2 Comment 0

Before leaving town I stopped to hug a mug at Aberdeen's popular Tinderbox Coffee Shop.  Cool place and nice staff.

Well, did that and headed out.  I found a paved bike path along the river which took me a couple miles south.  I was cautioned to becareful on the first section of the trail due to past robberies, but I didn't see anyone hanging out.   

Not to scenic but we'll paved.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The was fenced in by brush and trees and in some areas real fence....
Heart 2 Comment 0

I resumed to road (105) route which wasn't bad.  It had a wide shoulder.  Nothing to talk about.

The coolest to thing today was the stop at the Westport Winery and Mermaid Museum.   YES MERMAID MUSEUM.  

Short Lesson (Seriously it was well done.)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Not joking.  I donated $3 to learn about something that has puzzled me for years.  I've heard stories ... sure you have about those beautiful ocean species.

No Joke
Heart 2 Comment 3
Tamora StumNext Halloween outfit.......... no!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerGood idea Tamora
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Anyway, the museum was designed to educate and support the study of the ecological system. It was very interesting and we'll done. You should visit it sometimes 

After that just road down to Westport a small fishing village with a street of tourist stores across from the fishing fleet.

I wanted to spend more time there but the weather was getting stranger so I set out for Grayland State Park 

A nice state park and an outstanding hidden camp spot at the end if the road.   

While I waited for my guests to arrive (ETA 9 pm), I took the beach trail (not the adventure beach trail) and ended up here.

Heart 3 Comment 0
It was a long way ... Hope I find my way back
Heart 3 Comment 0

And look what found in the sand.

An SOS
Heart 3 Comment 0

What is a Snowy Plover?

Question of the day and maybe the tour!
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltProbably more here than you want to know...

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Snowy_Plover/id
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerBill thanks for googling it, we didn’t see them so…
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tamora StumThe snowy plover is a small wader in the plover bird family, typically about 5-7" in length
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

NOTE: Not all touring days are epic., but they are unique.

Heart 2 Comment 0

At 8:50 pm or there about Dan & Mr B arrived; so great to see them.  After a huge hug, my guests got comfy and we took.a night walk around the campground.

When we got back we all sat down around the glow of the Solo Stove and chatted.  It was so much fun trading stories from the early days on the road (19 days ago) thru today's ride to Grayland.  

Dan and I laughed and laughed while Mr B was getting restless with the human interaction.  He wanted to go to bed.

It was so funny, he tried to get into the tent, but the screen door was still shut.  He pushed against it and then looked up at Dan saying like"...what did I do wrong...*. It was so funny.  Dan opened the door and Benny went in and we didn't hear another peep from him again.

Benny - is a true adventure dog. He has driven in a car across the U.S. twice, flown across the U.S. twice, took a train on the East Coast corridor and even road a boat shuttle in Boston.   All this and he's also logged many more miles hiking, biking and car camping.  

At midnight, Dan and I agreed it was time to join Mr B just the flame of the Solo Stove went out.  

What a nice night!  Thanks Dan and Mr B for travel out to spend a couple nights with this Heavy Rescue Operator!!!  Another memory made!

Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerTo brandon spanglerThank you Brandon, one shot one killer shot. It acts a lot about the night
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 591 miles (951 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0