The Plan: Man Plans, God Laughs - A Plethora of Baby Boomers Partial and Piecemeal Pedal of the Great Allegheny Passage Trail - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2017

The Plan: Man Plans, God Laughs

We have a total of 20 people participating in what we are calling "Camp John." Fourteen will be staying in the Parker House, 2 couples renting nearby rooms and one couple live in the area.

Confluence PA, back in the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Day Zero, Thursday 3 August - some will drive up a day early. On the way to Confluence, my wife will drop me off in Cumberland MD and I will cycle the 62 miles to Confluence. The first 25 miles or so will be fairly steep uphill and across the eastern Continental Divide, then 37 miles slightly downhill to Confluence. Last year I did this ride in the opposite direction. So far, no one else is joining me!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Day 1 - Friday 4 August - most will be driving up on Friday and arrive in time for dinner but no biking. My plan is to bike 55 miles from Confluence to West Newton PA and then have someone come pick up me and take me back to Confluence. Last year two of us did this in the opposite direction - once again, so far no one is joining me, even though I promised to take showers. Others are planning to do local hikes or visit one of the two nearby Frank Lloyd Wright houses.

Fallingwater
Heart 1 Comment 0

Day 2 - Saturday 5 August - about half the group is going on a zip-lining expedition at Seven Springs. The other half will bike from Confluence to Ohiopyle (11 miles) along the Youghiogheny River. Many will just lunch and return, some will continue on to the west into the really scenic Yough canyon area and do a longer ride.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Day 3 - I'll leave early and ride from Confluence to Deal (37 miles) and meet the others who will have driven their cars to Cumberland and been shuttled (with their bikes) uphill to Deal by Cumberland Trail Connection. We will all bike through the tunnel at the eastern Continental Divide and then glide downhill 20 miles or so past Frostburg and into Cumberland, where lunch and our cars await.

That's the plan - it is a tad weather dependent...

Heart 0 Comment 0

Turns out the weather guessers were wrong, as usual - the only rain came at night and Saturday and Sunday were low humidity, cooler and mostly sunny.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0