Day 1: Carole and John Bike, Rick and Maggie Fallingwater, Mike and Kathy Raft, Everyone Else Arrives - A Plethora of Baby Boomers Partial and Piecemeal Pedal of the Great Allegheny Passage Trail - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2017

Day 1: Carole and John Bike, Rick and Maggie Fallingwater, Mike and Kathy Raft, Everyone Else Arrives

Rick and I shuttled my Subaru to Connelsville, and Carole and I biked the absolutely gorgeous 28 miles from Confluence through Ohiopyle and along the Youghiogheny River north back to the car. Much of this stretch is through deeper canyon areas and with all the recent rain there are continuous small waterfalls on the non-river side of the trail. There has been a lot of flooding of the trail but they have done phenomenal repair work - the surface was in great condition, with just a few washboard and rocky sections.

From Confluence (lower right) through Ohiopyle to Connelsville (upper left.)
Heart 0 Comment 0

We found the car in Connelsville and headed back to Confluence. Mike and Kathy set out to do rafting on the Youghiogheny, Rick and Maggie headed over to tour Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater house in Ohiopyle, while Martha led the others on a nature hike at the Ferncliff area of Ohiopyle.

The Happy Hikers at Ohiopyle Ferncliff area, from Left to Right: Dan, Andi, Sue, Carole, Larry, Martha
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rick TresslerLooks like Carole just created a new gansta symbology.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Kathy (far right) appears to be having much more fun whitewater rafting than Mike (in front of Kathy.)
Heart 2 Comment 0

Jim and Jacqui and Chris and June arrived after their long drives and we all hit the local grocery store and the bakery (Riverside at Trailside with phenomenal pizza, Stromboli and apple pie) for a tasty group pot luck fuddle-style* dinner - topped off by June's amazing S'mores pie made on site.

*There was a bit of confusion about my use of the term "pot luck" - I think it was a Mars/Venus kind of thing. The instructions were along the lines of "bring your own food and a bit to share" but for the attendees from Venus, the term "pot luck" seemed to mean "cook a tuna casserole that nobody likes." The bottom line is no one went hungry.

The Camp John Happy Campers, left to right: Kneeling: June, Kathy; Seated: Mike, Andi, Felicia, Larry; Standing: Rick, Ken, Maggie, Chris, Jacquie, Jim, John, Carole, Sue Dan.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Between Carole and Sue you can see a cool poster for the Great Allegheny Passage trail, hanging on the wall of the sun room at the Parker House.

Today's ride: 28 miles (45 km)
Total: 90 miles (145 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0