Day 6 - Belfair to Elma - Riding the California Dream - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2022

Day 6 - Belfair to Elma

Heart 1 Comment 0

This morning started a little slower and more relaxed — I don’t know if that was just me or if everyone was still a bit tired from yesterday’s ride. It was chilly, and I layered up with a long sleeve underlayer, jersey, knicker-length tights over my shorts, and warm gloves. 

Today was shorter, and the roads were mostly rural and quiet, with little traffic, which was a relief after yesterday’s rush hour experience. 

We all seem to be grouping up with people who ride at similar paces. A few like riding alone, and we have a couple of strong riders — Togan and Grant in particular — who like to start early and ride fast. The rest of us move at various rates of dawdle.

Anyway, we left our camp in Belfair, rode back up around the top of the Inner Hood Canal and then down along Route 106 for the first 8 miles, then branching off to East Trails End Road, which took us alongside Mason Lake. Most of the time we couldn’t really see the lake as the road was lined with trees. It was a pretty forested scene for most of the day.

Typical scenery on the ride today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A glimpse of Mason Lake through the trees.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Some of us met up for lunch in Shelton — about halfway to Elma. 

Heart 3 Comment 0

Much of the last part of the ride was on Cloquallum Road. It was very quiet, with sparse traffic. I saw a huge hawk — I think it was a Northern Goshawk — with a wingspan as large as an eagle’s. And a red-tailed hawk accompanied me for a bit, soaring above me down the road as if leading the way. It felt magical.

Finally, after a last bit of climbing, we dropped down into Elma and into the RV park. We have a lovely grassy area for out tents, wonderful showers, and — luxury of luxuries — laundry facilities!

Setting up camp at the Elma RV Park
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lunch at Kneelamd Park in Shelton.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I compiled a short video of the day’s ride, which you can view here: 

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 247 miles (398 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Scott AndersonJust an FYI: you can include your YouTube video directly (rather than just the link to it) by opening the icon that looks like a motion picture camera from the control bar and pasting your link in there.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Genny Fox“Various rates of dawdle.” I love this! I think it would be a great title for a tour! I am enjoying your journal 🚴🏻‍♀️
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lynda ThompsonGreat description "various rates of dawdle." That is the perfect speed to do when you are riding somewhere on vacation - somewhere you don't ride often and don't know when you'll ride again. Why rush? Enjoy the sights and aromas. It must have been wonderful to also have the hawks accompany you along the way - I always love it when birds fly alongside for awhile. Hope your warmer clothes are doing the trick!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David TattersallThanks for sharing that Journal. There is no better way to save this country than it 12 miles an hour.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo David TattersallGreat comment!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonLove the video!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Amber StarfireTo Scott AndersonThanks Scott- Inwas looking for a way to embed videos. Much appreciated!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Amber StarfireTo Rachael AndersonThanks, Rachel. My intention is to make one for each day, but it’s definitely time intensive.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Amber StarfireTo Genny FoxThanks, Genny. So far, I’m really enjoying the tour.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Amber StarfireYou’re doing a great job!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago