Day 7 - Elma to Winlock - Riding the California Dream - CycleBlaze

September 16, 2022

Day 7 - Elma to Winlock

It’s been an eventful couple of days, with no cell coverage last night and no electricity to charge my devices tonight, so I’ll have to keep this entry concise.   With more catching up to do tomorrow. 

Elma to Winlock

From the Elma RV park  we traveled south and slightly east to the Lewis and Clark park in Winlock. The first 40 miles of the 57-mile ride was mostly flat, the roads were good, and we had little traffic to compete with. About six or seven of us rode together for much of that time, and since so many of the group wear yellow jackets, I kept thinking how we must have looked like yellow ducklings following each other down the road. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

The morning started overcast and cool, with rain in the forecast. I got hopeful when the sun broke through the clouds around 10:00 AM, but as promised the rain arrived at 11:30— starting out as a light drizzle but increasing enough that I was glad to have my rain jacket and Showers Pass gloves with me.

The best part of the ride was the 16% downhill run after the longest climb of the day. Down we went in the pelting rain. Wahoo!! 

Fortunately, we had indoor lodgings this night — an old lodge complete with bunk beds, coed bathrooms, an industrial kitchen, and a wood stove to keep us warm and cozy. It felt just like summer camp.  

The morning light as we began our ride.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Peaceful fields
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Chehalis River and a little sunshine.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This cowboy statue stood near a sign advertising a golf driving range - with no range in sight.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A picturesque barn and silo.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A view from the bottom of the 16% downhill run — in the rain!
Heart 7 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonYou must have been glad you didn’t have to bike up this!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Amber StarfireTo Rachael AndersonI was!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The lodge at Lewis and Clark state park.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Fun with the late afternoon shadows.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Video of the day, including some of the pictures above. 

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 304 miles (489 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0