Sand Beach & the Abbe Museum - Bar Harbor to Boston - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2023

Sand Beach & the Abbe Museum

Passamaquoddy/Penobscot lands

Heart 0 Comment 0
The Circle of Light stucture. We were told it is used for storytelling and education. I'm quite sure it is, but the symbolism and ceremonial features speaks of a spiritual centered cosmology. The oculus is most open to the east and the morning sun. The Wabanaki people call themselves “People of the Dawnland”. The storyboard shows the lunar calendar represented by the bays between the arched ribs. The drum centered is the beating heart. The ribs themselves are those of our mother where we are nurtured and protected in her spiritual womb waiting to be reborn.Much the same is represented in Northwest and Southwest native ceremonial spaces. It takes only a bit of imagination to see similar symbolism in Gothic and Romanesque churches and the Buddhist and Taoist temples I’ve been to in China. Bottom line, the Abbe museum is a must if you find yourself in Bar Harbor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bar Harbor harbor
Heart 1 Comment 0
The lobster and the roll.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sand Beach
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Island Bus underwritten by LL Bean and free for all. Taking something of a rest day we took the bus back to Bar Harbor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sand Beach. Quite lovely but the water is appox. 20 degrees F colder than Rockaway Beach in NYC. Very hardy kids were out playing in it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A Roman Catholic cemetery chance encounered on our extended detour. The Protestant cemetery was close by. Many of the grave stones marked into the 19th century.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 17 km (11 miles)
Total: 140 km (87 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0