Day 30 - Spearfish to Hill City - C2C - from Westport, Washington to Sandy Hook, New Jersey - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2016

Day 30 - Spearfish to Hill City

Wondermous day, yesterday - -

Spearfish Canyon - a Treat
Heart 1 Comment 0

Got up at dawn and left at 6:30 for the ride up Spearfish Canyon,
It really is stunning with high walls and the creek running alongside.
A 2000-foot climb doesn't seem that much any more.
Early riding. Lots of shade and very little traffic.

More Spearfish Canyon
Heart 1 Comment 0

After an ice cream break at Cheyenne Crossing - and old corner store, now hip - I took a back forest road up thru Hanna - no traffic and the creek shrinking down to a rivulet. Then two big ridges to cross - the first on dirt. Huff. Puff.

Daisies near Cheyenne Crossing
Heart 1 Comment 0
Meadows and Forest at the Crest of Hanna Road
Heart 2 Comment 0

Once I got over the second ridge, it was mostly downhill to Rochfort - and well deserved for this bicycle rider. The old saloon at Rochfort was packed. I found a spot on the front porch in the shade. Chatted with a bunch of folks and watched the town border collie chase reflections in the street. Tough work. Spent the better part of three hours.

The Saloon at Rochford
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then hopped on the Mickelson Trail - unpaved, but pretty good - followed the creeks, then a long uphill haul over a ridge before coming down into Hill City and a zillion tourists. I had a Subway sandwich and check out my trusty forest service map. Found a chunk of USFS land a mile out from town - up a big climb - and had a panorama with zero folks for my campsite.

Coming into Hill City with Harney Peak in the Distance
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 miles (98 km)
Total: 1,426 miles (2,295 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0