From the Ashes - Pandemic Inspired Cycle Touring - CycleBlaze

April 19, 2020

From the Ashes

The Arboretum Ride

A Phoenix Project

In early 2003 beautiful Canberra was devastated by a catastrophic bushfire. Four people died, 500 houses were burnt and about 90% of the Australian Capital Territory was incinerated. The western side of the city was in ruin and the countryside was scorched to the horizon. Many resources were destroyed included an historic observatory and thousands of hectares of pine forest plantations.
That was seventeen years ago, and now there’s little visible evidence remaining of the 2003 fires. 

Today’s ride was to a site, The National Arboretum, which was established as a reconstruction project after the fires. Rather than simply replant pine trees where the plantations had been, the bushfire recovery authorities had the brilliant idea of planting an Arboretum, an international collection of living trees. It has developed into one of the most scenic and popular locations near Canberra. 

The National Arboretum is a great example of turning a catastrophe into a positive opportunity.

Heading through the city on one of the many multi use paths available to cyclists
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking across the lake to The National Library
Heart 1 Comment 0
The paths are well signed
Heart 0 Comment 0
The low profile building on the hill behind the plantation is today’s destination. The National Arboretum is visible at the western end of Lake Burley Griffin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An ancient eucalypt tree beside the bike path
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lakeside view from the path
Heart 0 Comment 0
Government House, Yarralumla Homestead, is visible from the bike path on the way to The Arboretum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking up to the Arboretum Visitor Centre from entry road
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cyclists in The Arboretum
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Arboretum visitor centre entry. Closed temporarily due to the COVID19 safety restrictions
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking east from near the Arboretum Visitor Centre. The building is a function centre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view toward Canberra city from the Arboretum Visitor centre.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of the growing tree collection. It has been planted in stages over the past 16 years. Volunteers have done much of the work.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking south west. This area was totally devastated by the 2003 fires. Suburbs have been rebuilt and many new suburbs established where there were burned pine plantations. Canberra continues to grow steadily.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down to Scrivener Dam which holds the waters of Lake Burley Griffin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mt Ainslie is visible on the far horizon toward the left of the image. This is near where the ride started.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sculpture at the top of a lookout called Dairy Farmers Hill. It’s a short, steep ascent to ride on sealed road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from Dairy Farmers Hill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another part of the growing tree collection
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of Black Mountain from the bike path on the return ride home
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back home to the campfire and outdoor dinner
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 22 km (14 miles)
Total: 132 km (82 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0