We made it to Tirana - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

April 19, 2023

We made it to Tirana

Transporting bikes when not riding them is always awkward so today was a long, exhausting day, but we did eventually make it to Tirana. 

Thankfully we decided to stay at the airport last night because Tobias chose the one day we needed to be up early to finally sleep in. James hogged the one available lift with all our gear while I hustled him out the door and downstairs. The trailer did count as a pram (so therefore free with his infant fare). I was a bit worried because it is pretty big and awkward and unlike most sleek prams people travel with.

Before going back to NZ I probably would have been more concerned about a 2.5hr flight with a kid. After sitting through 14hr though it feels very manageable. Wizz air is a budget airline so they don't seat you with your travel companions (so you pay for seat selection to sit together) so James had a nice relaxing journey and I wrangled the kid. It was funny coming in to land, I've been studying the map so intently looking at our route that I recognised all the features from the sky.

We pre-booked a shuttle because I was a bit worried about finding the right vehicle to fit all the luggage. We just managed to get it all in. There was supposed to be a car seat, but that didn't materialise so Tobias just sat on my lap. He deposited us at our Airbnb where we surprised our host with the amount of things we have with us. Supposedly this all has to fit on the bikes someday. 

Tobias was well past his normal naptime by the time he got to bed. He has started talking so much in the last few weeks and he even told me with words that he was feeling tired. We thought we would unpack the bikes once he woke up, but by the time we went to the supermarket to get dinner (twice, once with the Thule because Tobias asked to go in it, and once without it because it's impossible to navigate the streets and stores with a pram here) we were exhausted. I'm not sure why, maybe because we finally got a good night sleep last night. But we are here for 3 more nights, so plenty of time to get the bikes back together and get organised before we start biking.

Waiting to drop off all our oversized luggage. Somehow everything was in spec.
Heart 3 Comment 0
How we found the bikes when we arrived in Tirana. Poor things get bashed around on a plane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
According to Tobias this is a molen (windmill).
Heart 6 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesIt could be. After all, art is interpretive.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0