Savigny-les-beune to Dijon - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2023

Savigny-les-beune to Dijon

We were surprised by a short rain shower in the morning and pretty grateful to be indoors. It eased up by the time we'd packed everything so we could eat our breakfast outside. We saw David outside his house so thanked him again and waves goodbye.

We couldn't check in to our accommodation in Dijon until 5, so we weren't in a hurry this morning. Last night biking into town we passed the Chateau de Savigny and saw for some reason a whole bunch of fighter aircraft. We decided to visit since there were museums of motorbikes, race cars, tractors, fire engines, and a whole lot of airplanes, which would all be of interest to Tobias. It was so fun following him around being amazed at all the vehicles and pointing out their features (as much as his vocabulary allows). As well as all the machines there were rooms and rooms full of tiny models. We were ready to go but Tobias was still trying to look at more things. The one thing that wasn't entirely clear was why they had all this stuff and where it came from. It was hoarding, but on a really big scale.

We dragged our kid away and to the bakery to pick up some lunch which ended up in tears because a customer outside saw me and opened the door inwards but missed Tobias and completely bowled him. It was no worse than any of his usual crashes, but they felt pretty bad and bought him a lollypop which got us out of town and along to the next one for lunch.

James picked the spot because it had water and a seat. The seat was nice, but the water tap didn't work which was an issue since all our bottles were empty. Once Tobias was in the trailer we headed off along the cycle path to Dijon with our eyes peeled for taps but they seemed non existent. We even detoured to 2 sports complexes where there is usually something but there wasn't. Finally after almost an hour we found some at a park. 

The route was nice again, passing through small villages and vineyards and past some very fancy looking wineries. We saw plenty of people on bikes and having picnics, but hardly anyone around in the towns. We didn't hear anything from Tobias for 2 hours which is unheard of in the trailer. I'm not sure if he was asleep the whole time, or just didn't have much to say. But as we went through a roundabout in Brochon we heard a wee voice from the back say "glijbaan" since he spotted the playground. We stopped and got him up and spent a while playing since we still had time to kill. 

Tobias was in a great mood for the last 12km into Dijon. He points out all the grapes and there are old wine presses everywhere so he likes to talk about the wind making process. As far as rides into big cities go it was pretty straightforward and traffic was quiet, although that could be because it was a Sunday. We stopped for groceries and arrived pretty much at 5pm. 

Our house is on the ground floor which is new. Even Tobias said "stuff up the stairs" when we got here. It was nice not lugging it all up. It is a bit claustrophobic though and doesn't really have any windows that look out to anything or any outdoor space. So after dinner we took a short walk and discovered that we are about 3 minutes from Place de la République and the big fountain there. It was a good place for Tobias to ride and for us to get some air before coming back and getting him to bed.

Administration tasks are starting to run out since we only have one real week left on the bike to plan for so we don't have all that much to do on our day off tomorrow. Although we do need to find an outfit for Tobias to wear to the wedding next week.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 2,917 km (1,811 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0